What's new

Samsung adds an 85" $10k 4k TV to the 2014 line up (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I saw the 75" (for just under 6 grand) at Costco last week running a looped internal demo probably off an SD card or something and it looked seriously badass next to the high quality 1080p displays there. Last week Samsung announced an 85" to go with it. I figure by 2016 the 85" will be under $5k and I might actually be able to replace my Panasonic Plasma in the family room!http://hdguru.com/samsung-85-inch-ultra-high-definition-4k-tv-for-under-10k-revealed/http://mashable.com/2014/06/24/samsung-new-uhd-tvs/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nice display. Samsung could be my next purchase.

I am very happy with their high-end displays.

Thanks for posting this, Sam!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a 4k question (not Samsung specifically). I was browsing BestBuy and they've got a Sony 4k demo. I'm surprised to see that 4k isn't that impressive. The 4k demo material has obvious compression artifacts and color banding. It looks good, but not $10k good. And in some ways, it doesn't look much better than a good Blu-ray.

Is this the state of 4k material?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just curious -- did you tell them that?

Only because I'd be morbidly interested to hear what they'd have to say in response to your pointing out those things on their display. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To the BB staff? Their TiVo demo has been non-functional for 18 months. Pointing out minutiae in a vendor-supplied demo to floor workers would be fruitile.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I'm seriously considering the Samsung 4k curved 65" display. Does anyone here have it? In particular the 9000 series one that has the so called "future proof" connection box.Sent from my iPad using HTF

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
None of these 4K televisions or projectors are capable of the Rec 2020 standard, when they do that i'll be impressed.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Sorry guys,
I bit the bullet and bought the 65" Samsung 9000 series 4K curved display. It's an awesome set with a zillion features. Besides getting ~ $1500 off list price (which I realize is average) I got a hard drive with 4k content (5 movies + 3 documentaries) free, plus a Samsung sound bar with wireless subwoofer worth ~ $460 (for $29.... yes $29).
I REALLY had to replace my old 60" SONY Grand Wega..... which BTW is 1080i not 1080p. Once I go through the manual and play with its settings for a while I'll let you know further details.
BUT.... One thing I have to mention, the curve REALLY adds to this set. It's a slight curve, but as I compared this set to a flat 65" Samsung 4K set the viewing angle is increased..... At least in my eyes, not an advertising gimmick. I also like the fact that the brains of the set is in a separate box which can be updated as technology evolves for ~$300.
I have a feeling these sets will be around for a while.... these discussions (of curve vs flat) remind me of those I used to have with our friend RAF (Robert A. Folkes) when he wisely argued that DVD's (in the early days) were better than laserdiscs, and I refused to believe him. ..... still miss that guy :(

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Congrats on your purchase, Raul.

Keep us updated on your initial impressions of this incredible display.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Thanks Ron & Sam!

I REALLY like this set.

Unfortunately there is one BIG PROBLEM with it!!!

I can't get my son (who you both met at the last HTF Hollywood meet) off it! He keeps bringing his friends to see it and keeps on discovering new 4K content on Netflix and YouTube. Last night they went at it till 2AM. At least college begins here in about 2 weeks so I'll get to play with it by myself. Right now I'm reading the e-manual (about 250 pages)... yeah, some of us still read them :) to discover new features about the set and to learn how to properly calibrate it.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ENVY ENVY ENVY. :angry:

Envious.jpg

Seriously though Raul, I hope you finally get to enjoy it in a couple of weeks time.

4K is certainly top of my want list. (unfortunately my Wife has other ideas)

Doug.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love it when I read members talking bout how much they are enjoying their new gear...even when the reviewers and others tell them they shouldn't! :biggrin:

Or maybe I should say--especially when the reviewers and others tell them they shouldn't! :laugh:

Congrats, Raul! And I'm sorry RAF isn't here to revel in your purchase and to be picking your brain about the new technology.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Well.... you only live once (well..... in the case of Bond, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE... :) ) so, to add to my set I ordered an OPPO player. It arrives Tuesday.

I've been saving for a while for this.

Now the only thing missing would be a new AVR with 4K passthrough to replace my Yamaha RX-V1800. I looked at both the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040 and the Denon AVR-X4000. Any suggestions? I have a 7.1 Paradigm speaker setup already and I'm not changing these.

BTW, I just saw NEED FOR SPEED with my son on Blu-ray on my new Samsung, and even without calibration the movie looked AMAZING!

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I would guess that it was. I don't think that you can switch this feature on or off (I could be wrong). The image detail was just amazing. So far the only adjustments I've made are to use the Natural setting on Picture mode and to switch off the motion control setting.Sent from my iPad using HTF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks