What's new

Samsung 67 - can't get full screen (1 Viewer)

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
I cannot watch football in HD on my Samsung 67 - the grass shimmers so bad it hurts my eyes. The NFL logo at midfield jumps up and down and the ref's striped shirts are just a mess. What setting am I too much of a moron to set correctly. I have all the setting basically in the middle as to brightness, sharpness etc.

2nd question - I have the set set on 16:9 but I still get a letterbox type of result - my plasma fills up the whole screen. If I got to Zoom 1 - it fills the screen but I lose other information when I add the cable tv menus etc. It didn't always do this - it was something I did when I was trying to adjust settings to correct problem 1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would suggest using the "Movie" video settings as a starting point for viewing HDTV, DVD and BluRay. That preset was very close to perfect on my set. I only needed to tweak a few settings slightly from there to get optimal picture quality.

As for the picture size, either "just scan" or "16x9" should work with a true HD source. You didn't accidentally activate one of the "e mode" viewing modes, did you?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
also ensure that your cable box is outputting 1080i (vs 480i or 480p).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I use "Movie Mode" and "Warm 1" along with some tweaks in the contrast, brightness, and sharpness bars.

If you're getting those kinds of artifacts, you must be using one of the vivid modes and DNIe is probably switched on, too. All of that goes away when you chose "Movie."

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
you're right - on movie - the flare or shimmer goes away but the picture quality is not that great - I think you may be right about the comcast cable box - my bedroom plasma is much brighter and is in 1080 the set with the DLP does seem to want to stay on 1080. I'll do some more fiddling

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
"Just scan" is one of the options available under the picture sizes -- the "P.Size" button on the remote. E modes are some other picture presets such as Sports, Game and Cinema available by using the "E.Mode" button on the remote. Personally, I would make sure the E mode is set to Off.

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
I only get letterbox in HD - I have had the cable company over here to check their box - they confirm I am receiving 1080. I have the picture size set on 16:9 - I do not have the "scan" setting available it is greyed out. I get a full picture on analog channels and I get a full picture on zoom 1 but then I lose information around the edges. I get a full picture on HD channels but when the movie starts (i.e. they start the HD part) it shifts into letterbox. Nothing I do will fix it. What the HELL am I doing wrong???

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Which movie? Most modern films are in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, while your TV's aspect ratio is 1.78:1. Therefore, you will still see some letterboxing on these types of films. Here is a more detailed explanation of aspect ratios.

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
Scott - I am not explaining myself very well I guess - whenever I get any HD signal over my cable box - I get letter box - and even then it is a little distorted - analog broadcasts are full screen - only HD goes into letterbox whether it be the local news in HD or a movie - except when a commercial or some non HD programming is on the screen then it goes back to full screen - soon as it goes back to the HD programming - back to letterbox. I even had the cable company over and they confirmed that everything is in HD. Plus - my 42 plasma in the bedroom is full screen all the time - it is some setting on the TV that is incorrect and I can't find it. (personal email is [email protected] if you want to email me direct)

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
Can't get full screen in HD programming. I have already posted about this but it is driving me nuts. I have the TV on 16:9 (scan function is greyed out). I have had the cable company over - they confirm that my cable box is receiving in 1080. On an analog channel it will fill the screen but anything in HD all I get is letterbox. And even that is slighly distorted. If I got to zoom 1, I get full screen however I lose information around the edges. (i.e. can't see the basketball shot clock counter). When you are watching an HD channel - if it is non-HD programming such as a commercial, it will fill the screen but as soon as the regular programming continues, it goes back to letterbox. My plasma set in another room works perfectly. What the HECK am I doing wrong?????

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Something is definitely wrong - probably a combination of settings on your TV and cable box. If everything is working properly your SD channels and other non-widescreen programming shouldn't fill the screen, it should be properly pillar-boxed to 1.33:1. Widescreen programming should occupy the full width of your screen. How much of the height it occupies will depend on its original aspect ratio. (1.77: 1 material will exactly fill the screen, as will most 1.85:1 material, thanks to overscan. 2.35:1 and other wider material will, of course, be letterboxed.)

Since the result you get depends on the equipment and settings, we'll need to know the make and model number of each of the components (TV, cable box or DVR, receiver if you're running the video through it) and how everythinig is connected.

I can tell you that on my Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR from Comcat I had to go into the setup and select "pass-through" in order to get cable content to automatically dispaly in the correct aspect ratio. (I also selected "dark bars" for the DVR-generated pillarbox bars.) Any other setting was distorted in some way on my TV because the DVR was pre-processing the image before the TV tried to deal with it.

Regards,

Joe

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
Thank you for responding Joseph - unfortunately - my Scientific Atlanta boxes do not have a "pass through" setting. But my 42" plasma in the bedroom is set the same way and I get full screen on HD programming. The Samsung 67 in the family room - not capable. I spent another frustrating half hour on the phone with Comcast today - they tell me that there is nothing wrong it ha to be the TV - the box even says 1080i when it receives HD programming. The aspect control on my remote does not work either. The one thing that is very strange - when you change the picture size with the remote for the cable - it changes in the bedroom but has no affect with the set in the living room. David [email protected]

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
Joseph - I should mention - as well as being set on 1080i, my cable box is also set on 480 wide screen to get the full screen for SD programming for HD - I lose height not width - classic letterbox.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Still need the make and model for everything (all TVs, all boxes, in all rooms) before I can offer any useful comments.

Regards,

Joe

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
The cable box is a Scientific Atlanta -Explorer 8300 HD (DVR) originally supplied by Adelphia before taken over by Comcast. The TV is a Samsung HL67A750

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
David, I have combined your two threads. If you already have a thread on a topic, please do not start another. Thanks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
David, you may want to try turning off HDMI control on both the TV and cable box. This could be forcing the TV into a certain view mode. On the Samsung, this would be the "Anynet" setting. I'm not sure where you would turn it off on your SA cable box.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I also have an SA Explorer 8300 HD, from Adelphia (pre-Comcast buyout) and it does, indeed, have a pass-through setting. I'm not sure where you're finding the 480 and 1080 settings. What menu are they under? There are four settings for Picture Format: Upconvert 1, Upconvert 2, Fixed and Pass-through. My 8300 is connected to my A/V receiver via component inputs and the receiver is connected to one of the TV's component inputs.

There is no combnination of settings on the TV and cable DVR that allow me to duplicate what you're seeing on one of your TVs, but the fact that you're seeing different results with the same cable DVR on two different TVs suggest the problem is either with one of the TVs or with a combination of the settings on the two devices causing the issue. In any case, since you still haven't told me how you have everything connected (and still haven't listed the model number of the TV that is working OK) I'm not sure what could be going on.

Regards,

Joe

Snets

Grip
Real Name
David Snetsinger
reply to Scott - I have looked all over the menus - I do not have an "Anynet" setting anywhere that I can find. I do have a HDMI Black level but it is greyed out

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks