What's new

Samsung "61 DLP (1 Viewer)

Andrew^WH!

Auditioning
I'm looking at purchasing in a new Samsung, and I wanted to know if I should purchase the HLN or the HLM. All the research I have done was on the HLM, I was curious which one is a better buy.

Paul Pratt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Pratt
The M series is last years model. The N series is this years model with the new 2nd generation chip code named "mustang". The color whell also spins faster so you don't get the rainbow effect. It also has DCDi.
It is basically the same television as the other one with the improvements listed above as well as some cosmetic changes.

Andrew^WH!

Auditioning
Okay I have another question. I've heard that there won't be any burn in on this tv. Would it be safe to play video games on this set?

Andrew

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
As far as the 61" model goes, the HLM and HLN are the same. I have the HLM617W. It has the 2nd gen DLP chip, DNDi, Faroudja FL2300.

The HLN line just came out this month. It adds nothing new to the 61" model (except model designation), but the smaller models (43 and 50") get the new internals (DNDi and Faroujda FLI2300) that the 61" always has had.

However, the most recent 43/50" models were already quietly upgraded with the new internals, so later HLM437W and HLM507W are also the same as their HLN replacements.

All HLMs and HLNs have the 2nd Gen DLP (Mustang) chip and 6 segment, 9K RPM color wheel.

I know of someone who has a HLN617W. Both our sets were manufactured in Feb. 2003 and they both have firmware version 204. IOW, they are identical except being M vs. N.

The forthcoming 46" and 56" models will supposedly add discrete codes.

Dean Wette

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
DLP RPTVs are not phosphor-based, so there's nothing to burn in. Play away...no worries...

Dean

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BTW, if it's going in a room you can darken for movies you might want to consider a *front* projector based on the same chip. A 100" image that looks "like a movie" in your living room can be pretty cool!

But if a RP TV is what it needs to be...this is a good call.

-dave :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Does the Samsung DLP really convert everything to 720? Including 1080 material? It's likely not a big issue as there is very little native 1080 sources, but the display tag said it would.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it has to, It's a fixed pixel display (1280x720), so everything's up/down converted.

1080i sources (HDTV) look great (I'm using a Samsung DirecTC/ATSC tuner with DVI out). So does DVD (I'm using a Marantz progressive) via component.

Dean

Andrew^WH!

Auditioning
What are the advantages to a front projector? Besides the size differences availalbe, how does the quality stand up to RPTv's?

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks