Samsung 61'' DLP with a 43'' chip?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dylan_B, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Dylan_B

Dylan_B Auditioning

Hello,

I was recently informed that the soon to be released 61 inch DLP HDTV from Samsung will be using the same chip from the 43 inch model, thereby sacrificing image quality.
    My questions are... will this be remedied in the future with a 61 inch chip in the 61 inch model?
    Is this the same for the 56 inch?
    Also, is the sacrifice that great, would the picture degradation be that visible?
    After saving all that money, I want to make sure that I pick the proper TV.

I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks,
    Dylan

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

The only difference will be in light output, with the 61" having less. It's nothing to worry about, though, and might actually be a good thing. There'd normally be plenty of maximum light output with either size, and the black levels on the larger screen should be better (dark shadows will be darker on the 61 than the 43).
    That's just generalized rules of thumb, though, because I haven't actually seen the Samsung DLP's.

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

There is only the one 1280 (or whatever) * 720 DLP chip right now. Moving up in size isn't really a compromise in quality as much as the fact that you're just blowing everything up a lot bigger. In a sense it's a "loss of quality" but only because you're making stuff bigger; thus it's easier to see defects in the picture.

there will not be a ' 61" chip '.

Compare a little 13" SDTV to a 36" model for a rough comparison. For another have a look at some thoughts on the Sony Grand Wegas (the 42" is highly regarded and the comparative pq of the 50" is considered worse - due probably to the larger screen size).

Can't say that I agree about black levels being better in the 61".

The 61" unit has a brighter bulb than smaller units so the light output is roughly comparable.

4. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Jason, good points. I should've looked up some info on them before I spoke- I didn't realize they used different bulbs.