Samsung 61" DLP vs. Mitsubishi 65713

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Cynthia Binder, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Cynthia Binder

Hi --

I am putting together my first home theater system and am trying to decide between the Samsung 61" DLP and the new Mitsubishi 65713 that is supposed to ship soon.

My room has alot of windows (bad, I know) which I do not want to cover due to the view. I face SE, so I do not get direct sunlight except in the morning. Will I have too much glare on the 65713? The tv will be on the opposite side of the room, about 20' from the windows.

Taking that issue into consideration, which set would you buy and why?

I have viewed the 50" DLP in the showroom as well as a 65511 to compare sound -- the DLP did not impress me with the internal speakers. What is your opinion on sound quality?

My local dealer is willing to match other prices. He quoted $4600 for the Samsung and $3950 for the Mitsubishi. How do they compare with your quotes -- what should I try to get price-wise?

Thanks so much for your input!

Cynthia

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I'll only posit about the sound:

Trust your ears [​IMG]

One more thing about the sound -- do you intend to really make it a HT (ie, add external speakers, a receiver, etc etc etc)? If you do plan to add external speakers, don't worry about the TV speakers so much. A TV is afterall, a display device first -- IMO the top priority should be picture quality.

3. Rich:Fi

Rich:Fi Agent

I chose the Sammy HLN617W over the 65" Mitsu two months ago and couldn't be happier. The Mitsu could be said to have better picture quality but it is at the expense of possible CRT burn-in. That said, I still think the picture of a DLP Samsung is fabulous.

As previously mentioned, look at picture quality rather than sound quality. It would be a shame to not add a surround sound system to such a wonderful TV in the future.

Good luck with your choice!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'd go with the Samsung because:
    - No burn in
    - Samsung will take a 720P signal (Mitsubishi wont)
    - Lighter/easier to move

But you have a real problem. With that placement, neither TV will be watchable during the day. The screen will act like a mirror reflecting all the light coming from the windows opposite. You either need light control, or put the TV on a opposing wall to the windows (and even then, people sitting wide can see the window reflections). I'm struggling with this right now in my room so be aware before you buy.

5. Cynthia Binder

Thanks for your input everyone!

My dealer is so helpful they delivered a 65" Mitsubishi floor model for me to demo for 4 days. It only took one look (on a cloudy day) to determine there is just too much glare with the Mitsubishi screens for my room.

I live on a lake so that's why I don't want window coverings to block the view. Great for the senses, but not for the theater. You should see the glare of the lake on the screen on a sunny day. Right up until sunset all I could see was a reflection of the water on most of the screen!

TV placement is not negotiable because of an odd room shape. Wall of windows to east, wall of built-in bookcases to south, fireplace and wet bar on angle to north. That leaves west... which is across from the windows. So it is the DLP for me. The dealer has a 50" floor model that they will bring out for me to try, but I think it should be OK.

I already have my surround system. Purchased it a year ago before we started remodelling and have never set it up. I have a B&K AVR307, B&W 802s for the fronts, B&W 805s for the rears, B&K center and a Velodyne HGS 15 sub. I am mainly interested in music and concert dvds, so I splurged on the sound.

Now I need a great DVD player to complete things... Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!
    Cynthia

6. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

Cynthia,

Download the Samsung DLP guide from the following link. It will tell you a lot about the units including recommended DVD players.

Sammy DLP Guide

You really want a DVD player with DVI outputs to get the most out of your new set. Fortunately there are several to choose from that are not expensive at all. The guide will explain what I'm talking about.