What's new

Samsung 55w3hf - Conversion to 480p? HELP! (1 Viewer)

Vincent Dodd

Auditioning
I recently purchased my first rptv A samsung 55w3hf.I think i was a little misled by the description on the net.I went to hook up my dvd player and the 480p setting split the picture in two.When i switched to interlaced it worked fine.What i'm curious about is what does "The high-resolution display through conversion to 480 Progressive Scan " mean?I'm happy with the tv it has a pretty good picture but by reading that i thought it was a hdtv.Was i wrong?Any help would be cool.Thanks. Here's a link to my tv. http://www.samsungelectronics.com.my...sp_55w3hf.html

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Either the TV cannot accept 480p, or requires a manual selection to accept 480p.

Accepting progressive scan and doing progressive scan are not the same. Your TV probably takes only regular interlaced component video and then converts it to progressive scan internally for viewing.

Is there a second set of component video input jacks? Some TV sets have two sets, one for interlaced and one for progressive.

You can use the VGA input for progressive scan provided (a) the DVD player has a switch for RGB/component, or (b) the TV has a switch for RGB/component via VGA in, or (c) you buy a 480p component to RGB transcoder which is a box, not just a cable. (There is about a 5% chance additional tweaking is needed, for the horizontal retrace interval.)

If the TV was not advertised as accepting progressive scan component video or the instructions did not mention progressive scan input, then you must set the DVD player to interlaced and cannot take advantage of progressive scan direct from the player.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Vincent Dodd

Auditioning
The tv only has one component input.and there is no switch or menu setting for it.I've scoured the entire manual.About this 480p component to rgb transcoder,are they very expensive?where could i find one.Will i notice a big difference in pic quality if i do get one?Thanks for your help

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm moving this to Display Devices and editing the title to include the TV model.

M.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just a thought, if the set has 2-tuner P-I-P check to see if the P-I-P mode is turned "OFF" maybe the set can't display P-I-P using the Component Video Inputs with a progressive scan signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks