What's new

SAMSUNG 52B750 - Changing 720 to 1080i (1 Viewer)

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hi, I have the following...

Samsung 46" A750,

Time-Warner HD/DVR,

Yamaha receiver RX-V665

When I change to any channel, it mostly displays 1920x1080i up at the top left corner. My brother recently purchased the Samsung 52"B750 HDTV. he tells me that when he changes his channels, it displays only 720p. I was over yesterday and looking through his 'instruction pamphlet, and I could not see it anywhere, how to change to 1080i from 720 on his menu or tools from his remote.

He has Dish Network. I realize no one broadcasts in 1080P, and the only way to get it is with Blu-Ray, but watching football yesterday was kind of pixelated in 16:9 aspect. His 240 Hz MotionPlus was set to smooth.

His there a way to switch from 720 to 1080i?

*On another note...I'm still having issues with my HD/DVR Cable box. The picture completely blacks out, sound remains on. This happens about five to ten times per hour, and drives me KRAZY!!!.

I called Time-Warner and threy told me to contact motorola..I contacted Motorola and they told me it had something to do about the repeater architecture having handshake issues...has any one else experience these blackouts? My Motorola box is a DCT-8416 III. Time-Warner has another box out now and that's a DCX3400, and wondering if that would be the fix.

Thank you all for any help on this. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your brother needs to change the output of his Dish receiver to 1080i or native. The native setting will just pass through whatever is being sent by the station. ESPN broadcasts in 720p while HBO uses 1080i (those are just 2 examples).

Also, your and your brother's TV's are fixed pixel displays. So they will convert any signal that doesn't match the resolution to that resolution. If your TV is 1080i and it receives a 720p signal, it converts it to 1080i. You have to be the judge if the sat receiver / cable box does a better job of converting the signal than the TV does.

Sounds like TW is screwing around with you. Unless you own the box, they should never send you to the manufacturer. In fact, the manufacturer may not even know what software your cable company is using. It varies by provider and city sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks