Samsung 507W - DLP Television

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rikk B, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Rikk B

Rikk B Extra

Hey folks, does anyone out there have one of these units yet. I was in BB and the color and picture quality is amazing over regular projection tv.

I am heavily considering buying one, because I can get it for under 3000.00.

Any information regarding the pros/cons of DLP, Samsung or alternatives is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

3. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Rick,

Please look at my response to your post on the HomeTheaterSpot as I have written an extended answer there as well as a review.

Basically, for all of the Home Theater Forum members, this set comes out extremely well after calibration. In fact, i was surprised at the black level that could be achieved from this DLP. For many situations, such as a high ambient light room, or a display that is going to have a lot of video games played on it, this set is very good.

Scaling is a problem as there were artifacts. Color decoder can be made quite accurate, gamma, black enhancement, grayscale, ect...can all be adjusted to achieve a very accurate picture.

I see these sets definitely getting better, but a good start in the direction of using DLP technology. Plus there is less maintenance than a CRT, which could be a plus.

Regards,