Samsung 50 inch DLP...(HLN507W) - Tweaked?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Justin_T, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Justin_T

Justin_T Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone tweaked their TV yet and willing to share the calibration setup? No one seems to have definite numbers yet because I don't think anyone has had it professionally done. Has anyone here had it done and very pleased with it? Oh and has anyone tried putting a small light behind their TV to see if that helps increase the black levels? Sounds like a good idea and if it does work, I'll be getting one.

2. Justin_T

Hey Dean,

Yeah I've read through the tweaks at AVS, but have found most have made changes to the tweaks they stated or their firmware is different from mine. I have also found the gamma adjustment in the service menu was better left at default. Oh, do you have a movie light or anything behind the TV? I've heard it helps the picture. Know anyone that has done this? I plan to get a movie light because it's easier on the eyes anyway. This would just be an added benefit if it helps.

3. Justin_T

Oh dang! Impressive!

4. ColinR

ColinR Auditioning

How do you access your service menu? I have a 437w Samsung DLP

5. Justin_T

Turn your melody mode off so you don't go through a lamp cycle when you turn the TV back on.

Power the TV off
    Press mute, 1, 8, 2 and then power again
    Menu will come up and you navigate using channel up and down and volume left and right buttons.

Turn the TV back off to exit menu

WARNING: Enter at your own risk...may void warranty

6. ColinR

ColinR Auditioning

Thanks Justin - I have noticed that my green gain seems to be a bit high (especially when watching the Matrix) and Deans suggestion seems to be what I need to do. Will lowering that increase the depth of black levels?

Again, thanks

7. Justin_T

Yeah, it should...also remember that if you're using Dynamic Mode that it splashes way to much black on the screen. Go custom and adjust from there and you will notice a great detail in the black levels. Dynamic Mode is good for the average user I think. Also, the director of the Matrix filmed the movie and had it edited with a greenish tint for the presentation of the movie. I'm sure you do have a slight green push, but using Matrix as a referral disc for that is probably not a good idea for that reason since obviously you won't get rid of it completely because of the green push in the film itself.

8. ColinR

ColinR Auditioning

Good point about the Matrix. I've only had the TV for about 60 days so I am stilling fiddling with it (to the dismay of my wife). I will get into the custom mode and play around in there. I have noticed that the outline of objects(while viewing regular TV)seem to have a greenish hue to them and that is reason for lowering the green grain. Which do you have?

9. Justin_T

I have the HLN507W. Took me a bit to adjust the settings and it really depends on your eyes on how you want it adjusted. I will get my settings for regular cable when I get home tonight and post that when I get the chance if you want. My main thing I want to see this TV do is DVD's via the DVI connection. Can't wait to get that and see what the TV really does. Then I will do my ultimate collaboration for DVD's then.

10. ColinR

ColinR Auditioning

I tried that sequence to enter my menu and it did not seem to work. Any ideas? I recently connected a progreesive scan up with component wires and the pic was amazing. I can imagine wha a DVI would do. Waiting for HD sat boxes to come down a bit in price and channels more available before I get on with a DVI interface

11. James Lee

James Lee Stunt Coordinator

Justin, I'm posting this from work, but when I get home, I can check my service menu settings and post them here. I've been following the Samsung DLP tweak thread on the AVS Forums for months and I think I have found the visual sweet spot for my HLN507W.

From what I recollect, I ended up changing the gamma to 0. I adjusted the R_gain and G_gain lower, and B-offset higher. These settings are valid for all the inputs except for DVI. The DVI inputs appears to have its own independent set of settings. For the DVI input the only thing I changed was the gamma, which I lowered to 0.

One of the biggest problems with the Samsung DLPs out of the box is that there is too much green in the picture. With the settings I adjusted, the green push is pretty much gone. It's been quite an ordeal tweaking this thing over the past weeks but I think I have it set pretty well now.

By the way, my firmware version is 2.14.

... and for anyone who plans to mess around with the service menu, accessing it does technically void the warranty. Also, be sure to write down the default settings before changing them. There is no way to reset them if a mistake is made.

12. Justin_T

James, if you could post your settings that would be awesome! Thanks for the follow up

13. James Lee

James Lee Stunt Coordinator

Here are my service menu changes. The first number is the factory default and the second number is what I changed it to:

R-Gain = 127 123
    G-Gain = 120 114
    B_offset = 133 138
    Gamma = 0

Only the gamma was changed on the DVI input. I left the color variables at the defaults since the video quality from the DVD player connected to DVI already looked pretty good. Turning down the gamma to 0 gave me a little bit better definition in dark scenes.

I misspoke about the firmware version. I actually have v2.11.

Also, my user menu settings are:

Contrast = 100
    Brightness = 70
    Sharpness = 25
    Color = 30
    Tint = 40/60

These settings have given me pretty good results so far. I have plain old basic analog cable and the picture quality varies quite a bit among the channels, but that is to be expected since cable TV video quality isn't that good overall. More importantly though, my DVD players are connected to component 1 (Denon 910 progressive scan) and the DVI input (Samsung HD931). The picture looks especially good from the Denon 910 on component 1. I also have an Xbox on component 2 and the picture looks stunning, especially in a game like Amped 2 which plays in 720p resolution.

If there's anything I've learned about the HLN507W, it's that a) the factory default settings are completely inaccurate which is a shame because a lot of people are not going to be satisfied, and b) it is a pretty unforgiving TV when it comes to signal quality. Feed it a crappy signal and it'll output a crappy picture. However, feed it a high quality signal and it'll look stunning.

Hope this helps...

14. Justin_T

Much appreciated James! Thank you for your settings. Mine are not too far off so I will try yours and see if I like that picture better. Thanks again!