What's new

Samsung 50" DLP (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It is a great TV.

Is it a good deal - well the price is off by about $1000 from retail. But those televisions are discontinued because new models are coming out so you will see clearance prices on them.

Would I buy it - yes. It's a great TV and $2500 is a fair price.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
The discount may be as high as $1500 off. Does that sweeten the deal? Also can it display all modes of HDTV? I am wondering about this tv since I do not know much about HD.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
It's a good TV at a great price.

Bob,
That set is not discontinued...the HLP5063W was just recently released. Maybe you're thinking it's the HLN507W or HLN5065W.

Regards,

Frank

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
simply put - you would be *crazy* not to buy this. excellent tv, truly excellent price.

(disclaimer: i work for bb)

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

I am trying to decide between this Samsung and a Mitsubish WD-52525. The Mitsubishi is a 52" DLP HDTV RPTV.

What do you guys think? I am unsure of the price right now with the discount but it retails at $3999.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
is that the mits that we carry as well? the mits is gonna cost you more no matter what. but, for that price, you're getting some additional benefits.

1. netcommand
2. 2 more inches
3. cable-card ready
4. firewire connection
5. built in hd tuner

so, it'll cost you more, but you'll have more bells 'n' whistles. in terms of just picture quality though, they're pretty comparable.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
What are the benefits of those extra bells and whistles?

I am unsure of some of those things.

Thank you.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
netcommand - allows you to use an on-screen gui to control all your other a/v components. :emoji_thumbsup:

2 more inches - should be obvious...

cable-card ready - if you use comcast (or any other cable-box) this tv doesn't require it. the tv will tune all the channels by itself. note cable-card doesn't work with ppv or some other cable-box features.

fire-wire connection - if you have any a/v gear that utilizes firewire (like sony camcorders), you can plug it directly into the tv. provides a digital connection.

built in hd - you can pull local ota (over the air) hd channels. no need for an external set-top box to decode hd.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.

My brother can get both of these TVs for $1000 off.

The Mitsubishi ends up being $500 more. Is it worth it?

What is the difference in picture quality and tv longevity. Which brand is better. I am under the impression that the Mitsubishi brand is better and had better color but that the Samsung has a sharper picture.

What do you fellas think? The TV will most likely be purchased tomorrow.

Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Go with the Samsung.

Many makers STOPPED making DLP televisions until they worked the bugs out, but Samsung seemed to do it right. The Mitsubishi is ... a bit unknown at the moment.

The Samsung also gives you:
  • Better Up-conversion - The Farajuda (sp?) chip does the up-conversion and does such a good job that people with progressive-scan DVD players say to feed this television interlace. The chip does a better job that most PS DVD players.
  • 3 Component inputs - often other televisions only give you 2.
  • Ability to jump straight to a particular input without scrolling through all the inputs (seems minor, until you try and use a universal remote to control things).

Hope this helps.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Ted,
Are you sure you can hook-up a Sony Camcorder through the firewire input?

I'd go play w/ both at Best Buy and make sure this year's Samsung has both a Tint and Hue control.
The Mits may possibly have color decoder adjustments. That would be nice.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
uhh...see my two previous posts. ;)

adil - i'm pretty sure (but i wouldn't bet my paycheck) that the firewire accepts video. i browsed through the owners manual and thought i read it. again, not positive...but kinda sure.

bob makes a good point. the faroudja dcdi chip is a big plus for the samsung.

like i said before, the mits has more bells and whistles ... but if you just care about pic quality, both would be good choices.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

The older Samsung DLP's have the DCDi by Faroudja logo everywhere but the one you're looking at, HLP5063W(and other HLP**63W models I've seen), makes no mention of it having the Faroudja processor. Whether it's still there or not, I don't know. I would think if it is there that would be somethign they'd want to advertise like they did on the previous models.

As far as I know, the HLP5063W he linked to only has two component inputs.

As far as jumping to a particular input and passing unsed ones, this can be done with the Mitsibushi Netcommand system. Not as convenient as the Samsung where you it automatically senses which inputs that are being used, but it can still be done.

In the scheme of things these are kind of minor points on which to compare the tv's, the biggest difference between the Mitsubishi and Samsung in question is the fact the Mitsubishi has the higher performing HD2+ chip as well as the flexibility of cable card and built in ATSC tuner(which may or may not be useful to you). I look at these TV's all day long and the Mitsubishi is clearly the better looking picture with hi-def. On standard def, they all pretty much look equally crappy.

Irv Gleaner

Auditioning
If you really want to buy the Mitsubishi, don't get it at Best Buy. This store only carries the bottom of the line 525 series with a highly polished screen which reflects everything. By the end of this month Mitsubishi will release the WD52725 and 825 units which both have a great anti-glare screen and the 825 unit will even include a 120 GB DVR recorder. The 525 and 725 units will cost just about the same, while the top of the line 825 will go for about $1K more. Even when the 725 series is released, Best Buy will only continue to carry the lower end 525 unit and never mention that Mitsubishi makes this set in three different feature levels. Check out mitsubishi-tv.com for more details.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

People have confirmed that these units all contain the Faroudja chip. This makes manufacturing simpler. They avoid paying the royality to Faroudja on the 'lower-end' models by not labeling the units as having the chip.

Joe Co

Auditioning
What about the Samsung 50" HLN5065WX, at Sam's for $2800, for those of us with no family working at Best Buy?

Thanks,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks