Samsung 50" DLP opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James R. Geib, Jan 14, 2003.

1. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

O.K., the subject line of this thread is a bold faced lie, but it served it's purpose! I have been anxiously awaiting an opportunity to see, first-hand, the new Samsung DLP's, and my local Best Buy now has the 50" on display. Daddy like!

I have read that viewing a DLP may cause headaches for some people, so I sat in front of the set for a long time watching the HDTV feed. I was thoroughly impressed, and headache-free.

After watching the DLP for a some time, I began to walk back and forth from the 4 plasmas on display to the DLP, and I think the DLP's picture was just as crisp, just as detailed, and the colors were right on for me.

Anyone else have opinions on the Samsung DLP's? What can one expect the bulb life of the DLP to be??

I feel that, for the price, DLP may be the way to go for me and my family.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

3. James R. Geib

I had viewed Mitsubishi's DLP about 1 year ago, and thought it had a very good picture, but due to it's size it wasn't very bright. I also didn't think the depth of the images produced were nearly as good as the RPTV's the same store carried. The new Samsung set offers drastic improvements in picture at less than 1/3 the price.

It seems that with the new Mustang DLP chip the problem with contrast has been all but eliminated. In comparison to the other RPTV's at Best Buy, the Samsung DLP had much more depth when provided with an HDTV signal. (How well are the other TV's calibrated?? Probably not calibrated at all.) HDTV looked excellent, but then the signal would switch to a movie trailer, and there was a good bit of static. Probably not a good test for the true capabilities of the set. Best Buy and other's need to connect a dedicated source component with demo dvd's to new displays like the Samsung.

The Samsung has a very bright picture when viewed at eye level. It does lose some birghtness when viewed well off center or while standing, as Best Buy's display unit is virtually on the ground!

Tweeter is about to open up in the same area, so I'm hoping to compare the DLP's to even more RPTV's and plasmas in the near future. It seems, thus far, to be an excellent technology for display devices.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

5. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

James,
    Samsung was at the top of its game at CES with there DLP's. I looked at the sat feed that it got from the DirectTV booth and from other booths around CES. The sets were simply stunning[​IMG]and i was very impressed. Just one thing, they will have to new sets in april or may to go along with the current sets. Also they are giving it a new DNie chip and making the bezel sleeker and in either charcoal or silver. For those of us who have spouses who are anti silver [​IMG] or just want a dark bezel. So waiting is a virtue for these facts alone. Just food for thought.

6. James R. Geib

Thanks for the information and opinions everyone.

Any word on bulb life for these sets? Replacement bulb costs??

7. KevinFC

James,
    Bulb Life is 8000 hours for the Sammy. The lowest price so far is 200.00 with 7-8 bucks shipping.

8. James R. Geib

Kevin,

Thanks for the information. That's a very reasonable life and price for replacement bulbs. Makes the DLP's even more tempting for me! With a 100,000 hour life for the DLP chip, this is a display device that can provide many, many years of use.

James

9. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

Yeah - A buddy of mine got the 50" Sammy for Christmas. Fantastic picture - quite a bit brighter than traditional or CRT RPTVs I've seen. Colors were vibrant. The off-axis viewing was also better than any other set I've seen.

Monsters Inc looked fantastic. I did see some rainbows in AotC though, but not bad. I'll take them rather than worry about burn in.

I just wish they'd put a size between 50" amd 65". I am really looking for a 55"-57" set (but I'll stretch to 65" if I absolutely have to). Yeah, black would be nice too.
    (Edit: Just read the Sammy is a 61" model, not a 65" - that'll work!)

Does anyone know the timeframe for DLP offerings from the other manufacturers?

10. KevinFC

David in April or May there will be a whole ne w line out HLN model series with a 46" and a 56". The bezel also looks alot nicer.

11. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Could someone post a link for these samsungs. I haven't been able to find one. I would also like to see what the price looks like. Thanks

12. KevinFC

I saw them at CES but you will not see them until they become available. And the pricing is only MSRP and not would you would really pay online or at a retailer.

13. Steven Servatka

Steven Servatka Auditioning

14. Steven Servatka

15. KevinFC

Steve,
    Those area the models that are currently out there already. The models due out are the 46" and 56" and those are the pics that Brent wants...I believe. You can see the current models at any Fry's, Tweeters, Ultimate and the non Tantus models at Best Buy.

16. Steven Servatka

Kevin,

Yeah, after posting I re-read the thread and thought it probably was the new models he was looking for. Couldn't figure out how to delete my posts. Sorry if I confused anyone!

Steve