What's new

Samsung 47" HCL473W blue halo effect? (1 Viewer)

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
I recently picked up my first wide screen rear projection TV in a Samsung 47" HCL473W. Although I love the set and feel it's great to finally be able to watch DVDs in anamorphic and progressive scan after merely dreaming about it for the last few years, there's one concern I have with the picture quality. Although it's infinitely better than my old 36" 4x3 JVC set, there is what I would describe as a blue halo effect, as to some degree the color blue will "bleed" around sharp lines, particularly where a very bright white meets a dark black. Is this the dreaded 'Edge Enhancement' I've read about?

If anyone else has this model and can advise me on how they dealt with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If this is normal and just something I have to live with, I'm fine with it, as I love the set, but is there a way to at least lessen it to some degree? I've tried adjusting the picture by turning down the contrast and sharpness, as well as adjusting the brightness, but the picture still has this blue halo effect.

I have THX Monster Cables and I'm using a new JVC Progressive scan player, so I assume that should be OK, but as I'm new to this, I'm really not sure.

GaryPL

Agent
I know nothing of that particular set, but I have read threads regarding the issue you speak of....
I see alot of talk about the blue focus when this issue is mentioned, when folks do tight focus(on blue) that blue halo you asked about becomes a PITA, to the point that some folks just defocus it a bit...
For some reason it seems noone with more experience than I will answer you here, so I suggest you try over at AVS, or do a search for blue and/or halo here.
I am NOT telling you to adjust focus, I am just stating the issues I have read about..
You will find the answer from people who have/had this issue if you search though...
I would bet on it.

GL

gp

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Will,

I too suffer from the same halo effect. I have a 55" samsung Tantus. HCM553W-XAC I believe is the model #. I also suffered a few more problems with my set.

I can't help you but its at least comforting your not alone:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks