Samsung 4215/216/422 42" HD RPTV owners unite!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Aug 29, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I'm hoping that any Samsung HCM-4215W, HSM-4216W, and HCM-422 owners can unite and share their thoughts and tweaks on this thread. I'm an owner of the HCM-4215 and an HCM-4216 myself.

2. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

I own an HCM4215W and would be interested in hearing about others' experiences as well. There isn't much info on the web about these sets, and the SERVICE MANUAL SUCKS.

3. David Susilo

Do you have any problem with the Perfect Focus? I find that Perfect Focus is more like Perfect(-ly out-of)-Focus.

4. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

After some experimentation and a little service manual reading, here's my opinion on Perfect Focus...

Perfect Focus resets the convergence to the factory setting, or the last user saved setting. For example, if you manually adjust the convergence via the standard menu, and then hit Perfect Focus, all of your adjustments will be ruined.

Now, if you go into the Convergence menu by pressing mute,1,8,3 and adjust the convergence there, save it by pressing add/erase and then hit the Perfect Focus button before exiting. This updates the Perfect Focus setting for your set. If you don't hit Perfect Focus before exiting the Convergence service menu, and you hit it during normal viewing, your picture will be MESSED UP.

Once you've set the Perfect Focus in the Convergence service menu, hitting it during normal viewing seems to always fix the focus, resetting it to however you saved the convergence.

I hope this makes sense. Anyway, this is my interpretation only. The service manual is where I learned that you should perform Perfect Focus before exiting the advanced convergence menu. Other than convergence, the service maual is junk. It doesn't explain what ANY of the settings in the service menu are for.

If you haven't picked one up, I'd recommend doing so before adjusting ANYTHING in the advanced convergence menu. You can really screw things up otherwise. I screwed up the picture on my first set and had to get another one sent out.

5. David Susilo

I've tried the above and couldn't get to the convergence service menu. I can, however, get into the regular service menu.

6. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

Just press Mute,1,8,3 while the TV is on. Press S.Mode on your remote to exit.
    BE CAREFUL THOUGH [​IMG]

7. David Susilo

Found it! I'll wait until I get my service manual first though.

8. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

The HCM4215W/4216W/422W all share the same service manual and have the same parts list, yet the 422W has more features. So, what I'm trying to do right now is find a 422W owner to post their service manual settings.

I already figured out how to turn on the Subwoofer and split screen PIP in the Option menu of the Service menu. It's easy...try it.

9. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

where can i get a service manual for the PCL5415?

10. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

11. KennyT

KennyT Auditioning

How do I get into the service menu to turn on the subwoofer? I just picked up my HCM4216W and also want to adjust the convergence using the method described above.

12. David Susilo

Subwoofer on the 4216? I don't think it exists.

13. KennyT

KennyT Auditioning

I think this is what Jason Koz said he did to his set in a previous post. I'll try and email him and find out.