Samsung 42" Rear Proj HDTV Compatible

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Z., Oct 2, 2002.

1. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

I bought this monitor in August and have a couple of general questions, if anyone can help:
    1) When I try to watch a DVD in Cinema Mode (which switches a letterbox to 16:9, filling the screen), during dark scenes the screen is full but once in a while when a daylight scene comes on, it automatically switches back to letterbox format, Cinema mode still on...really annoying.
    Why? Is this common?
    2) It has a Perfect Focus feature and also Manual Convergence? Which is better? I have made the time consuming Manual Convergence adjustments and just now did the Perfect Focus feature and they both look the same to me. Did I waste time with the Manual process?
    I was thinking about "calibrating" with one of thos professional DVDs but am afraid it might be more wasting of time. Will one of those DVDs really make a difference in picture or are those differences only noticeable to a super duper expert?
    Hope you guys can help!
    THX!
    [​IMG]

2. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

I'm VERY interested in getting this TV as well. How would you rate it overall? Worth the, roughly, $1600? How's the picture on regular cable? And is the stretch mode for 4:3 signals any good? Thanks. [​IMG]

3. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

Nick, it's a great TV...but regular cable does look like crap on it (I can't get digital cable nor satelite at this apt. complex)....just wanted for DVDs and Laserdiscs for now. I think it is definitely worth the price so far....it's not overbearing on the living room....just those 2 probs I mentioned above that I'm hopin someone can answer.