Samsung 42 in. RPTVs (HCM4215W and HCM422W)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi! I plan on getting one of these sets in December or early January. Could anyone who owns or has played with these sets give me some opinions? I can't seem to find much info anywhere other than Samsung's site, and no...they're not biased or anything. This will be my first RPTV as well as my first widescreen set, so I'm very excited and don't want to be let down. Please steer me in the right direction. If these aren't good, please just tell me to avoid them like the plague. Thanks for any advice!

Rob

2. Robert Burkes

Bump...

I could really use some advice here, guys. Thanks.

Rob

3. ethan_l

ethan_l Stunt Coordinator

I picked up this set at my local Best Buy about 2 month ago
    and have been very pleased with it
    after about 2 weeks of research I finally made my decision
    to get the 4215W since it fit my budget and also looked
    much better than the crappy sony next to it.

I would rate it as the following
    out of 5 stars

Picture quality: 4.8 (everything looks sharp and bright in progressive scan, I've tested it with dozens of DVD and I own PS2,XBOX and GCN and it's awesome to be playing them on it)

Audio: 4.5 (suprisingly good sound, it even emulates a surround sound enviroment)

Design:4.8 (it looks very slick, but the matching base stand u must purchase separatly and it's $119, you might need it if your viewing level is too high)

Build:4.9 very solid build
    remote: 4.5 (it's got every thing you need and responsive +
    it's universal remote but none of mine components are supported)

extra: I don't have cable so I'm using an outdoor antenna
    at first I was not looking forward to watching that on my HDTV cuz I thought it would look like crap. Finally my friend convinced me to try it out. It totally blew me away, if you tune the antenna right the picture quality was amazing. I think this is also due to the fact that the TV has a built in noise reduction filter that cleans up the signal. Also u can set the TV to panoranma mode and
    it stretches the picture to fill the entire screen so you don't get black bars. The really amazing part is when this happens the image don't look squeezed at all, it's in perfect ratio even if the show you're watching is not in 16:9

All in all I'm extremely pleased with this purchase

hope this helps

4. Robert Burkes

Thanks, so much for your reply, Ethan. I'm glad to hear you've had good experience with it. I'm looking forward to picking one of these sets up even more now. Thanks again.

Rob