Samsung 42" DLP HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ericJed, Apr 28, 2006.

1. ericJed

ericJed Agent

Apr 14, 2006
    Im looking at the Samsung HL-S4266W & I was wanting to know what the resolution of 1280X720 mean's? Is DLP reliable?
  2. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Sep 30, 2003
    I have the 46 in. HL-R series...(2005's model) I reasearched for a while, and I belived DLP to be better than LCD. This is subjective though, I think that the industry is leaning to LCD technology. I am very happy with my purchase.
  3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino
    1280 x 720 means that the screen image consists of a grid measuring 1280 pixels across by 720 pixels high. (Which is another way of saying there are 720 horizontal scan lines from the top of the screen to the bottom.) Standard TV and DVD has 480 lines from top to bottom for picture (out of 525 lines total, some of which are used for other things like closed captioning.) Standard TVs are usually interlaced, they draw the 240 odd lines of an image, then a fraction of a second later draw the 240 even ones and is written as 480i. DVDs can be encoded and displayed (on a TV or computer monitor capable of doing so) with all 480 lines drawn in sequence, known as 480p for 480 progressive.

The Samsung has a native resolution of 1280 x 720 with the 720 being 720p or progressive. HDTV tends to be broadcast at either 720p or 1080i - which has more scanlines, but is interlaced. The Samsung would need to scale the 1080i signal to 720p. At the screen size you're considering, many people don't see much difference between a 1080i signal displayed on a CRT-based RPTV at 1080i, a DLP or LCD/LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon - a variant on LCD that shares some characteristics with DLP) RPTV at 720p or on one of the newer digital displays that scales all content to a native resolutoin of 1080p. At bigger screen sizes 1080p can look dramatically better, and even at 42" many prefer it. 1080p will increasingly become the standard for DLP, and especially LCD and LCoS (since there is little extra cost to inscreasing the resolution using those technologies) in the next 6 months to a year. This will also be true of LCD flat-panel and plasma. Right now the true 1080p microdisplays (like the JVC HD-ILAs and particularly the Sony XRD series) command a big premium, and there is comparatively little true 1080p source material available. But that is changing, especially with Blu Ray on the horizon, and prices will continue to fall. So if you're not ready to move immediately or don't have to replace a dying TV right now, you might want to think about waiting.

All technologies have pluses and minuses and any choice is apt to be a trade-off. It isn't like DLP is absolutely better for all programming under all room conditions and for all viewers or that LCD RP is or LCoS. Last year I replaced my old standard def CRT RPTV. Based on my research and needs I came down to a choice between a 720p DLP and a 720p LCoS, both 56" sets. I ended up with the LCoS (the JVC HD-ILA) because of financing, available delivery dates, Best Buy's Reward Zone program, and the fact that I got the manager to throw in some cables and agree to give me the discount on a recently-purchased LCD flat-panel for my bedroom that was on sale - even though I was a couple of days past the price-match deadline. A few weeks later I helped my nephew pick out a new TV and he bought exactly the same Samsung DLP that you're looking at. We both have HD service from the same cable company and both have Sony DVD players. With the two sets calibrated using Digital Video Essentials I would be hard pressed to pick one of them as having a better picture than the other.