Samsung 40" WXGA TFT-LCD at Comdex

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Kang, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Nick_Kang

Nick_Kang Auditioning

Jan 12, 2001
    Did anyone manage to see this at Comdex this week? I unfortunately was not able to attend. Here are some specs from the web page dedicated to Comdex unveilings:
    resolution: 1280x768
    contrast 600:1 dynamic 1000:1 (not sure what this means)
    brightness: 500 cd/m2
    response time:
  2. Mark Rogo

Mark Rogo Extra

Aug 31, 1999
    I, too, have become temporarily obsessed with this display.
    The aspect ratio is not at all a misprint, by the way. It is 15:9. I believe this is so the pixels are actually square and not rectangular.
    I fear that details will be scarce cause the press release from August is the last one Samsung has posted anywhere.
    I think this is not yet a product. I think it may be a product. But we've seen Samsung do this before where it's not really there.
    Also, I think the weight is totally right. The finished product may weigh a bit more due to bezel issues and power supply and such, but it may not.
  3. Mark Rejhon

Mark Rejhon Auditioning

Feb 8, 1999
    26 pounds, that's very light for a 40 inch display!

I think the weight figure is right (12kg) -- TFT's are much thinner than plasma displays. TFT's are just mostly glass, and not much electronics are required to drive them -- just a few extra pounds. Add a lightweight aluminum or magnesium casing, and 26 pounds is right.

Very impressive -- At this weight, you could almost mount it directly to simply drywall....