What's new

samsung 40" 16x9 TV, any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am looking for a nice affordable 16x9 set, and this thing here is looking pretty sweet, but I cannot find anywhere that has a physical model for me to look at, so I was wondering if anyone has seen this thing up close and can vouch for it. The size, weight, and price are all so very tempting, and the price went down $500 since last month.
Here is a link to read features on it. http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=25#details
Please let me know of anything.

Michael Ferrari

Auditioning
Hi Sean,
I saw this set a few months ago at a Tweeter store in my area. At first glance the picture looked great, but upon further study (using a few DVD's I brought along) I couldn't get the blacks to display as black; they were always grey. That's an unfortunate downside to today's generation of LCD TV's.
If I remember correctly, the price was much higher than Best Buy is selling them for today. The high price, along with the not-black blacks, turned us off to this TV. But it was very thin and light, so that was a definite plus.
Mike
------------------
"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson

Miles_W

Second Unit
Sean, I'm not sure of the price difference but I would be more inclined towards either last years model of toshiba 40x81 or this years 40h80. I would imagine that the price could be with in 1-2 hundred dollars and this would give you something that would support more than just 480p. If you want to watch any HDTV I do not believe the Samsung will do this... just my 2 cents
Good luck
Miles

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The toshiba is nice, have looked at it a few times. As for price, it is about $600 more. The size of the set was ok, kinda strange looking. I am worried about space constraints as I am moving in with a lot of other people. I have also looked at the Mitsubishi widescreens lately. Found the 56" for $2999 lately. Not bad, really good TV(for once the place was demoing it correctly, usually they have non anamorphic stuff on it and zoom it or stretch it, but this time they had Toy Story 2 unsing componet cables on the TV...drooolll). I am worried about space limitations first and formost, and price. I wont be able to afford much for a while, but could possibly get the Samsung very soon. I read some reviews after digging online and the Samsung got some very good reviews, but all of them mention that it has to be professionally calibrated, since the consumer menus are very sparse.
They all say that after calibration the black level is really good and the reds are no longer blown out.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
ummm...at the expense of sounding like an idiot, I just noticed for the first time that the Samsung is still analog, while the Toshiba and whatnot for not much more are digital....that could explain the price difference.
I was just looking for an inexpensive way to get 16x9. The Samsung I would have to see in person though. But those Mitsubishi's are nice.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have the 40 inch TV in my bedroom system that replaced an old 35 inch Mitsubishi direct view. They have 2 models - a 'PLK' and an 'SLK.' I have the 'SLK' HD ready digital (www.samsungusa.com) ready TV. I think there is about a $700 or so price difference. I liked the weight factor and tabletop configuration for where it had to go. My other choice was a 34 inch direct view or change the furniture. For my use it is a good choice. The picture may be a small drop softer than many are used to and the other drawback is the fan and filter (which I guess gets cleaned a couple of times a year - only have the set a couple of months). During low (late nigh) TV volume, the fan is audible. At normal TV volume or with a movie it is not something that most would notice. It also only has one HD Ready
component input. The other component input is not. So that if you have a progressive scan DVD and an HD tuner you would need a switcher. I personally am happy with the choice for the bedroom system. It I was making the choice where I had more space options I might look at the Mitsubishi 46" which I think Costco wholesale warehouse now has for $2599.
------------------

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Coincidence, I just took the plunge and ordered this set from Best Buy yesterday. I was going to wait but my 32" RCA just went on the fritz so that gave me an incentive to buy now. There's another thread on this I started a few weeks back: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/006475.html
Anyway, I saw some nice reviews on the web and I decided to go for it. The weight and compact size are big selling points for me, since I don't have a very big theater room(and it's up a few flights of stairs!). Anyway, as soon as I get it, I'll post on it and let you folks know how I like it. I should have it in about a week to ten days.

Chris_K

Auditioning
I bought a PLH-403W a little over a year ago. For the size, weight and price it is nice. Out of the box the red is pushed over 25%. I got into the service menu and using AVIA tweaked the TV and aside from the blacks not being "black" enough (although I can barely tell) the picture is awesome. Very crisp and bright.
The only thing I am not looking forward to is when the light burns out. To extend the life of the bulb, we only use the TV for movies. Apparently it will cost over $300 to replace. We even put the Tivo on our bedroom TV. Yeech.
------------------
My HT

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
I am really enjoying this set as well, bu also am not thrilled about the eventual bulb replacement. I also don't watch this set except for movies. I would like to get the bulb now so I have it when it's necessary(hopefully-knocking on wood-not for awhile), but the Samsung website doesn't list it anywhere and I don't know where to get it.

Eric Nyhusmoen

Auditioning
Bulb replacement:
1-800-627-4368 $216.56 +s/h
Model No. PLH403W
Serial No. 31CN200066F
I'm not sure if this is just the bulb or if it's the bulb assembly. The service manual shows that you can replace either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.