Samsung 3297hf vs. Sony 32hs500?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan Hartnett, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought the Samsung 32" HD set from Sears. Unfortunately, when it was delivered yesterday, I noticed a pretty big geometry error (the top slants down and the bottom slants up and both bow in the middle- it's really noticeable on anything letterboxed). I've only had it for a day, and they're supposed to be replacing this set once they can find a time to deliver the replacement, but now I'm starting to think maybe I should just skip the Samsung and go with Sony. I can get the Sony at a comparable price but I"m not sure if it's actually a better set. The hs500 has a few extra inputs but that's not really a big deal. The one big improvement that I can see right now is that the line doubler can be turned off. In the Samsung some things look blurry (it's really noticeable on the menus for my ReplayTV), I'm assuming that's because of the line doubler. I know cable/recorded tv isn't going to look all that great on any high definition set but I would like to get the best possible picture.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated, I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Where are you finding the Sony at a comparable price? Everywhere I look the Sony is $500 more than the Samsung.

TimG

3. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The sony is a better unit. It has DVI(good for future, maybe). Although it's pure chance that the geometry would be better. All flat sets have geometry issues. Given both are the same price I would take the sony with no question.