Samsung 32" HD magnetic discoloration- advise needed.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomHansen, Feb 14, 2003.

1. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

Hi all!

I recently (two weeks ago) bought a brand new Samsung TXM-3281HF (Costco model). So far the unit's been working great (huge improvement over my old 27" Sony" Last night when we turned on the monitor to watch a DVD, the entire right-most three inches of screen as well as the top-left corner looked like they had been hit with a magnet! It greatly concerned me and I tried shutting down the monitor to see if that would fix it. Didn't. Well, we watched the movie, and it never seemed to go away.

This morning, however, the unit was just fine. One thing that I thought it might be was rain. I live in Phoenix, AZ, which usually doens't get a lot of rain, but last night we got quite a bit (all day yesterday, in fact) so I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the dramatic increase in humidity levels and maybe something to do with positively versus negatively charged air particles (that's what I told my wife, anyway).

So should I just assmume the monitor is okay, and the discolation in picture was environmental, and temporary, or should I be concerned that the monitor itself is going bad? BTW, when white was on the monitor, all the sections were a bright neon green, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

Tom Hansen

2. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

No one have any insight into this?

Thanks,

Tom Hansen

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What kinds of speakers are you using, and are they magnetically shielded?

TVs and monitors are affected by the magnetic polarity of Earth, however. You can notice shifts in coloration if you reposition the set while it's on. Which brings up another question: Did you move the set within the timeframe of noticing the phenomenon?

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I was in a Sears and they had the widescreen 30 inch Samsung that had been returned, and it had a bright discoloration on one corner of the picture. Very noticable. The salesman said it was due to an unshielded speaker. I later noticed that their display model had the exact same problem. I don't know if they mistreat their sets at Sears, or if Samsung is particularly vulnerable to interference. I have heard a lot of good things about Samsungs, and have considered getting one myself until I decided to save for a front projector instead.

5. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

Both my front speakers are mounted on the ceiling so they shouldn't be doing anything. I do have the center channel on top of the monitor, but when this happened, there was no discoloration on the top, only on the sides. I also have had this same speaker on the top of my old Sony 27" for a number of years with no problems.

I haven't moved this set at all, since I've hooked it up, maybe to turn it around and plug in a cable or two, but not since the issue arose.

However, while turning on the TV last night, it happened again. Gone by this morning. I think I might have figured it out though. I have a programmable remote, the MX-500, that I programmed a macro to turn on TV, then Reciever, dvd player, then go back and set TV to component input after it has turned on...but the signal gets transmitted to the TV just BARELY after the tube powers up...maybe I'm telling it to change inputs too quickly...do you think this would do it? It just occured to me last night after it happened again...I had used that same Macro the time before when it happened, and I haven't used it since. I'll try reprogramming the macro to wait longer in between tv power up and input change and see if that might fix anything.

Thanks for your posts so far, and if anyone else has any insight...

Thanks,

Tom Hansen

6. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

Well, I've confirmed that it must the be the timing. After some testing, If I change inputs too soon after the TV has turned on (you hear the screen charge) I have to wait a little while after the picture appears to change inputs. Since making my macro take longer, I have had no problems with the TV.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tom Hansen