Samsung 30" widescreen zoom modes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Koz, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

How good are the zoom modes on the TXM3096/3097? I'm considering buying this set tomorrow and want to know how distorted 4:3 broadcasts will be when zoomed in/stretched? I've read that some 16:9 sets zoom/stretch pretty well without distorting 4:3 material much. I really can't stand the thought of watching TV with gray bars on the sides. Does this set do as good of a job at zooming/stretching as others?

Thanks.

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

The zoom, is exactly just any other sets' zoom
    Stretch, although not as great as some other sets, it's really accepatble.

I use the stretch mode (called "Panorama") to watch TV all the time.

I have Samsung 4216 42" 16:9 HD, by the way, although I used to own the 30" 16:9 by Samsung as well.

Any reason you are not buying the 42"? It's only about US$100 more, with the same footprint as the 30" and about 6 lb. lighter.

3. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

Best Buy carries the 4215 for $400 more than the 3096. Is the 42" model THAT much better?

I've always heard RPTVs kind of sucked, but admittedly don't know much about them.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Lew Crippen

6. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

Forgive my ignorance, but what are MTTR and WAF?

Thanks.

7. Lew Crippen

8. David Susilo

The correct industry term is MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure).
    With the Samsung 42" 4216 (or 422 in USA), it's actually my wife who wanted it in the beginning. She said that the 30" 16:9 HD is too small (and we watch it only 6 feet from it!). God bless her [​IMG]

9. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

I just went to Best Buy and purchased the 4215 tonight!! I'm getting it delivered next week...can't wait.

The 4215 is IDENTICAL to the 4216...only difference is the 4216 is silver and the 4215 is charcoal. I read all of the specs VERY CAREFULLY on Samsung's website, and they're identical. The 422 is a different model altogether. It's on J&R's website and it just came out this week.

I was able to get the 4215 for $1350 with some SERIOUS haggling. The normal BB price is $1599. After a little haggling, they agreed to sell it for $1500. Then, I pulled out my 10% off preferred-shoppers weekend coupon (going on this weekend only). They didn't want to give me the 10% off on top of the discounted price of $1500...only off the regular $1599 price. I pitched a fit and 20 minutes later they agreed to give me both discounts (probably just to shut me up). I'm pretty happy, considering I saved $250 off the normal price...and to think I was going to pay $1100 (after 10% discount coupon) for the 30" widescreen.

David, do you have the optional stand? I'm wondering what the optimal height of the TV is going to be with my couch/chair. I was thinking of buying a 16" A/V stand from IKEA prior to this, but now I'm wondering if that'll be too high.

10. David Susilo

If you want to use the stand, use Samsung's optional stand, otherwise it will be way too high. I personally didn't use any stand for TV since it's the perfect height for me viewing either I sit on the floor or sit on the sofa.

I just wish there is 4215 in Canada. I don't like silver finish.

I just think it's very strange that Canadian 4216 is very different (in terms of spec) than the US 4216.

11. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

I just looked on Samsung's Canadian site and they do list both the 4215W AND 4216W...both have identical specs to each other and to the ones on the U.S site.

Thanks for the info on the stand. I'm not sure if I'll need it or not. My couch/chair are kind of low, so maybe not.

12. David Susilo

Damn, when I bought the 4216, the 4215 was not on the Canadian website. Grrrrrr!
    For some reason, the posted spec for 4216 and 4215 are the same with the US counterpart, however, like I mentioned, the spec was off for the 4216 (one component HD, one RF, regular protective screen) although it actually has two component HD, two RF, anti-glare protective screen and so on and so on.
    Damn! should've waited for the 4215. [​IMG]

13. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I can't speak for Samsung sets, but my Toshiba has a wealth of stretch modes, none of which are acceptable IMO. I'd rather deal with grey bars than watch TV in non-OAR.[​IMG]

14. David Susilo

Obviously, no stretch mode can be purely acceptable because, as the name states, it stretches everything. However, I'd rather see thing slightly "fat" rather than have burn-in on my RPTV. Besides, Ally McBeal looks more attractive that way [​IMG]

15. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Why would ANYBODY wanna stretch a 4x3 program into a 16x9 screen to make everybody look short and fat. If I had a 16x9 TV, I'd watch 4x3 material, such as I Love Lucy with the black or grey bars on the sides. I don't want ANY distortion when I'm watching TV.

16. David Susilo

Why? RISK of BURN-IN! (you can do a search on this topic).

I don't know about you, I can't afford a new RPTV every year.

17. David Susilo

Jason Koz,

Should you find out how to fix the overscan, would you kindly post which parameter should I change in the service menu?

18. Ken Garrison

Why is burn-in more of a problem with the expensive HDTV sets and not with the older directview sets? I watch letterbox movies all the time with my 19" Directview TV in my bedroom. No burn-in at all. The contrast is fullblast on it too. In fact. I'm gonna try an experiment. I'm gonna put in a widescreen VHS tape, set it to SLOW MOTION. About 1 frame ever 2 seconds. Adjust the tracking so it's clear, and let it run all day. And do this everyday and see if the picture will burn in.

If burn in is more of a problem with HDTV sets, wouldn't this mean that they have shittier CRT tube?

19. David Susilo

It's not about the tube, it's the nature of the unit. ANY RPTV will have the same "problem". None of the direct view will have as severe of a problem as RPTV. That's why direct view is also much more expensive inch-by-inch wise compared to the RPTV counterpart.

With my previous direct-view HDTV, I watch 4:3 with grey bars on the sides, no problem.

20. Ken Garrison

Is burn-in more of a problem with RPTVs because the CRTs in them have to be BRIGHTER?