Samsung 30" Widescreen TXM-3096WHF? Anyone seen this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Jun 13, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Well, watching a 4x3 image would be a bit smaller on the widescreen tv. But heck, the black bars on the letterbox movies would be a lot smaller and actually have a bigger picture than you did with your 4x3 TV. If you're gonna use it for widescreen watching, GO FOR IT!!!

3. Keith_JS

Keith_JS Agent

I am actively considering the same two Samsung sets and I'm very interested in comparing them spatially.
    Does anybody remember high school geometry? I don't. I'm interested in the real dimensions (height and width)of the two screens both naturally and when viewing material that must be letterboxed-- I remember that A squared, plus B squared, equals C squared, but after that I'm stuck. [​IMG]
    Here are a few dimension related questions which some of you scientific/mathematical types will no doubt find a piece of cake to calculate:
    1. What is the viewable screen dimension (height and width) of the 30" 16:9 Samsung.
    2. What is the viewable screen dimension (ht and width) of the 32" 4:3 ratio Samsung.
    3. What is the screen dimension of a 1.85:1 letterboxed movie on a 32" 4:3 tv.
    4. What is the screen dimension of a 4:3 letterboxed program on a 30" 16:9 tv.
    5. What do you think is the maximumum comfortable viewing distance for each tv?
    6. In terms of real estate lost which is the best value assuming that you will be spending equal time watching DVDs and non widescreen programs?

4. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

I am considering the TXM3296 as well. I would have been content with the TSL3293 but they are harder to find in my area and the TXMs are priced almost the same. BB has a TSL model but it is roughly the same price as the newer TXM line despite the TSL are on closeouts for them.

Anyway I was considering the 30 inch widescreen from Samsung. The price, under 1500 makes it a very tempting and most affordable widescreen glass set out there that I've seen. However I am thinking it would be too small for watching 4:3 since I watch alot of TV. I really would love a glass widescreen set but I think anything smaller than 34 inch, like the way more expensive Toshiba, might be to small. It would help if a store had the set near me so I could see for myself and be very sure but no store around me has it.

The prices for both Samsungs are about equal.

5. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Also you may want to take into consideration if you get balck bars or gray bars when watching a 4:3 picture on the widescreen set. I don't think burn in is too much of an issue on CRT compared to projection

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the responses everyone. What about the specs for the two sets. Are they more or less equal, apart from the dimensions of course? Would you expect the same picture quality in both?

7. Rick_E

Rick_E Agent

I'm also considering the Samsung 3096...does anyone know if it has 3:2 pulldown? What is the difference between the 3096 and 3097?

8. Joey Helmsley

Joey Helmsley Auditioning

The 96 doesn't have 3:2 pulldown, the 97 adds 30 watts of sound, BBE sound clarifier, and 3:2 pulldown.

9. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra