Samsung 30" HDTV...3:2 pulldown!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick_E, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Rick_E

Rick_E Agent

Hola all,

I'm looking at the Samsung 30" TXM3096WHF HDTV monitor. I've read conflicting information on this model. Some sources indicate that it DOES have 3:2 pulldown (Best Buy site), while others don't mention it. I also know there is a 3097 model, but I'm not sure what the difference is. Is 3:2 pulldown necessary on at 30" set?

Anyone know the answer to this, or have general comments about these sets? (I know they are brand new). I dont have a progressive scan player.

Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The use of 2:3 pulldown is always preferred, assuming the function performs properly and with minimal artifacting. And I believe the Samsung incorporates the feature. If not, just get a prog-scan DVD player that features 2:3 pulldown.

3. Rick_E

Rick_E Agent

I'd like the unit to have 3:2 pulldown...the specs on the TV at the Best Buy site says that it DOES have it, but at the Samsung site it makes no mention of it one way or the other...

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hmmm, a $650.00 32" TV has a 27-28" diagonal picture that looks great using an interlaced player. If you wanted a larger screen TV, why go for something so small?

5. Joey Helmsley

Joey Helmsley Auditioning

The 96 doesn't have 3:2 pulldown the 97's and 98's do.

6. Lane Denson

Lane Denson Extra

I realize I'm asking a pretty newbie question considering my time here, but what exactly would be the disadvantage to not having 3:2 pulldown? I'd really like to get the 96, but without 3:2 pulldown on the set, what am I missing? (note that I'm currently only using a non-progressive DVD player)

And am I correct in assuming that if I bought a progressivescan DVD player with 3:2 pulldown, it wouldn't matter if the Samsung had it or not?

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

8. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

I believe only the 3097 and 98 have 3:2 pulldown. Sears carry the 3097 and Best Buy has the 96 which I am going to check out. The sets are nice but there is a problem with the 3097 and an older model 3092 going by another post.

I have the 3097 and you get a couple of transparent lines vertically down the screen which are most noticeable when watching something on s-video and component. I have went thru 3 sets already all all exhibit the same problem.

Someone else on this group has the 3092 and have the same issue so I believe it is something with the set.

I will go check out the 3096 to see if that has it.

9. Rick_E

Rick_E Agent

I just hooked up my new Sony DVP655 progressive scan DVD player to the Samsung. I can tell ZERO difference in the picture when switching between interlaced and progressive mode. I checked this w/ several DVD's....I guess either the line doubler in the Samsung is that good, or I just won't be able to tell w/ a 30" screen. I've also come to the conclusion that the 3096 actually does have the 3:2 pulldown.

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

So Rick, how is your new 16:9 TV? I bet it's awesome and such an attractive price! You go boy [​IMG].

11. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

If you would be so kind scan th escreen up and down, left and right and see if you notice any transparent vertical lines. There is usually one in the center and one towards the left hand side.

It is best noticeable on s-video or component video. If your DVD player goes black when you hit the stop button, then do this and turn up the brightness some and see if you notice it. Let me know and I would be most thankful.

12. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

[​IMG]

13. Rick_E

Rick_E Agent

Eric,

Yes, the lines are there, two of them. I really don't notice them, and I can rarely see them, but they are there. It's not enough of a problem for me to take the set back. I think any TV you buy is going to have one thing or another that is annoying. Anyway, I think every Samsung model of this series likely has the problem. I've come to the conclusion that they are all basically the same set.