Samsung 27" HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chadahren, Jun 24, 2003.

1. chadahren

chadahren Auditioning

Good afternoon,

My dad bequeathed me a nice Samsung 27" HDTV monitor last Christmas, and though he had used it for a year or so it is in perfect condition. I am in the midst of persorming all the video calibrations but my initial problem with the monitor (and why it sat in my spare bedroom for four months) was a serious image problem. The first DVD we popped in, Unfaithful, has a dark scene in a bathtub with a lone candle as the light source...and the image flickered badly. Die Another day, where Bond is swimming toward a light source, shows the light almost topographically with a bright center and clearly discernable dimming levels surrounding it.

Has anyone had a similar problem? The calibration appears to be helping quite a bit but it isn't completely eradicated.

My Sony DVD is not progressive scan but I'm using all component cables. Any ideas? Samsung was absolutely no help.

2. Roman Ortega

Roman Ortega Extra

I’m not completely sure why, but different models of Samsung have this same problem, I have a Samsung 27” analog display (The model is cl2945, but it seems to be just for Latin America), I’ve recently read about Samsung TXL2791F Which is also a 27” analog but this one is flat screen and now your HDTV, all with the same flickering problem, and, I don’t know about your tv but the txl 27 and my tv have the same service menu (and the same problem).

I’m pretty sure that the flickering occurs when there are very bright objects in a dark background (chapter 12 in crouching tiger is the most problematic case I’ve found), any how to not make this post any longer, take a look at this thread , in there you will found a way to solve the problem, but only do it if your service menu is exactly the same as descried in there (mine is) and try not to experiment to much in the service menu or you can really ruin your TV

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=39722

Hope this helps.

Roman

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A scene in a darkened room illuminated only by candle, and your image flickers? Sir, candles flicker. And sunlight dappling on clear water "flickers." You might be seeing what the content providers intended.

4. chadahren

chadahren Auditioning

I'm sorry, I ought to have been more specific. Generally, when candlelit scenes are filmed, the lighting is carefully arranged to ensure that the image doesn't globally submit to the whimsy of the flame. The problem I was having (but am correcting bit by bit) was that when the candle flickered brighter, the entire image came into plain view...when the candle flickered more dimly, almost nothing was visible. This is during a scene of dialogue where both principal players are in frame...but their faces are virtually invisible. I cannot imagine that this effect is the filmmaker's intention.

Thank you for the clarification about candles, however.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not trying to be contrary, but what you describe still sounds like a content issue. Ever see Barry Lyndon? Director Stanley Kubrick developed a lense specifically intended for shooting in candlelight. Depending on the light levels, actors' faces flicker in and out of view.