What's new

Samsung 27" HDTV: upconverting? (1 Viewer)

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen some stuff about HDTVs not really displaying in 480p and instead upconverting to 900i or something like that. I have the 27" Samsung HDTV (the TSL293-whatever one). The manual says it supports 480p and 1080i. Does it really display in these modes, or is there upconverting?

GregJ

Agent
The Samsung will display either depending on what you can deliver. Some TVs automatically up convert any signal to 1080i but the Samsung should display either 480p or 1080i, with an outboard HD decoder.

Greg

RyanSR

Grip
Any normal 480i NTSC source will also be upconverted to 480p by line-doubling. I don't really know if this can be turned off, although I don't know why you would. Perhaps with VHS, you may not want a line-doubler. Correct if wrong.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, you might want to turn it off if the line-doubler looks like crap, which it often does on certain sources.

I have a Panasonic DT-M3050W widescreen monitor/hdtv, and it has no doubler. Let me tell you, fed with my Sharp VC-S100 VCR (which was the best SVHS deck Sharp ever produced), the picture looks amazing. The NTSC tuner is the best I've ever seen in a VCR (3DY enhancement) and it doesn't need doubling. In fact, I've seen it with a doubler and it just makes the picture worse.

The same goes for SVHS/VHS tapes. The VCR has built in 3D-DNR for tapes. Of course Sharp stopped making this thing with all the features very quickly because it was too expensive to make. If you can find one, just for the NTSC tuner aspects, I would grab one up.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
If you have the input selected to DTV (thru component inputs of course), then it is showing in Tru 480p. If you are viewing a DVD or PS@, Xbox, etc thru the DVD connection and not the DTV, then you are not viewing it in true 480p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks