Samsung 1080p LCD LN-S4695D - Looks like poop! General LCD questions...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Peter Hunt, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I was excited to rush to a local dealer and purchase the new 1080p Samsung LCD I have been waiting for! 8ms response, 6000:1 contrast, sounds like a dream!

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/t...s4695dxxaa.asp

To start putting it through it's paces I popped in Toy Story 2 which is generally thought to have a nice transfer and source material I know. I did not even get past the FBI warning screen and I was already declaring this looks terrible. When the 3D version of the Disney logo played things got worse. As the logo's text flashed to white all you could see was colour banding into the blue backdrop. You could see compression artifacts everywhere! I was shocked how bad it looked. I work in film and I'll argue I have a "decent" eye, my wife is not so discerning and she also thought it looked awful.

It was running via HDMI cables, I got them to hook up analog component and same results. Went into the DVD player menu, tried to turn off and image filter options. The TV was new that day, not calibrated. We tried taking it out of "torch mode" by eye. Alas, still looks like poop. Now I'm just upset, disappointed and worried. I looked at some other LCDs and well, and I could still see the banding to varying degrees. Odd thing was the 720p version of the same TV looked better then the 1080p version. Does that make sense at all?

End of the night I went home and looked at the same Toy Story 2 DVD on my neighbors 42" Panny Plasma, it looked great (3 months old). I don't know the model but he has a "higher" end unit that comes with no speakers, stand and you buy the connections you desire. I now plan to back to the store with my DVD player, AVIA DVD to attempt to calibrate and some quality cables.

My questions:

1. Are LCDs that bad that you see banding on "great quality" DVD transfers?

2. Do LCDs have a breaking in period or how they look out of the box is as good as it gets?

3. Any logic behind a 720p and 1080p versions of a line of TVs looking different when displaying a 480p source? Should they not in theory look the same?

4. are current generation LCDs still that far off from Plasmas?

5. Is this post way too long? [​IMG]

I want to get an LCD as I'm worried about burn-in on Plasma's. I mostly watch movies but have seen 2.35 black bar burn in on plasmas. I also want to be able to play games or run my computer upon occasion without worrying about burn in.

Anyway, appreciate any imput you care to share on this model or general thoughts.

Cheers,

Peter

2. sarah99

sarah99 Agent

I have always thought LCDs to be unsuitable for movies/tv the black levels and colour depth are just all wrong.

On the other hand, my 42" Panny SD plasma panel looked great (similar type to your pals) and knocked spots off all the LCDs of whatever resolution (the SD pannys don't get burn-in AT ALL but the HD pannys do).

I have now upgraded to a 56" Sagem DLP RPTV (720p) and that also looks better than any LCDs that I have seen (and also don't get burn-in but does get rainbows).

IMHO LCDs make great computer monitors but are not much use for anything else (not only way behind plasma, but way behind everything).

3. Peter Hunt

Hi Sarah,

You mentioned SD Panny plasma's don't get burn in but HD do? When you say HD you're including both 720p or 1080p? Why would a SD (we're talking 720x480 NTSC?) avoid burn in? I thought burn in would depend on the display type not the resolution?

I had an HD CRT rear projector that would be 4+ yrs old. When I moved across the country I sold it hoping to get something with a smaller footprint. Interesting you mentioned the DLP as an "upgrade" from your plasma. Why did you go for a 56" DLP vs plasma? Was that a price point decision or do you think the DLP is better? Curious.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Not speaking for Sarah.

All plasmas can get burn-in. There are really only 3 scenarios where you have to be concerned about plasma burn-in. Stock tickers, game playing, and those who leave closed caption on all the time.

Inch for inch, DLP is much cheaper than plasma.

For a little more than you paid for your Samsung, you can get the 58 inch Panasonic plasma, or for about $3,400, you can get a 50 inch, top rated Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. For $4,250 delivered, the TH-58PX60U would be stunning.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

So long as you think it looks like poop. [​IMG]

6. sarah99

sarah99 Agent

50" HD plasma was about $4000, 56" HD RPTV was $2000. I was a bit wary of spending a large amount of money on a plasma as the technology is changing so quickly. (in the UK 1080p is still not available & HDMI standards are changing rapidly)

7. Peter Hunt

Well I think I'm off the LCD bandwagon. After looking at some calbrated 46" ses including the Sony XBR2 (Bravia? forget the exact model) I'm still not as impressed with them as I was hoping. They really show the compression of DVDs, solorization all over the place. This may in fact show how "great" the LCDs are by showcasing the problems of DVD but it did not make a nice picture. I find LCD look very "digital" while plasma has a more natural/organic feel to it. Dissapointed as I was hoping I'd be happy with the current LCDs.

Anyway, I think I'm getting a Panny 50" instead. The TH-50PHD8UK "commercial" line seems to be very well reviewed and I'm impressed with the picture.
    http://panasonic.ca/English/Broadcas...2_50phd8uk.asp

Thanks for the imput Sarah and Arthur. And yes Seth it still looks like poop to me [​IMG]

Peter