Samson used as main speaker amp question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Currently I have a Yamaha rxv3000 receiver, and am completely satisfied. However, I am very curious about the whole seperate vs receiver issue. I am wondering if when I finally buy what I am planning on getting (39cs+/samson 1000 combo) will I get a good idea of how separates sound vs receivers if I hook up the samson to my mains?

Clearly I won't use the samson for that purpose, but if it does make a big difference I may be on the road to separates. Yeah, I know I'll find out on my own when I do make the purchase, but I'm just curious now, I have NEVER heard a separate amp before.

2. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

Sheldon:

I don't have first hand experience but from what I've read, the s700/s1000 sampson amps sound a little "grainy" for fronts. There is no problem being used for a sub but for fronts it might not sound all that good. Don't let that discourage you from getting separate amps

3. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about using a Samson for the mains but I am using the extra channel on my s1000 for the center speaker with excellent results. The center sounds much better and I think that relieving the receiver from the power drain of driving the center is making my mains and surrounds sound a little better also. I know that Ron has given the thumbs up to using the samson for the center so give it a try.

4. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

What power handling capability does your center have? I have an S700 but haven't chosen the sub model yet, and considered hooking it up to hear how it sounds but none of my speakers have a greater than 150W power handling capability (though they are rated to 300-400W peak power). I've been afraid I'd blow something out if I ran the Sampson.

5. Barry BB

Norman, you've got me thinking now.

I have a Paradigm studio center. I just checked the web site and the suitable amplifier power range is 15-175 watts.

I have the Samson amp gain control at a little more than 1/2 full so I am assuming that I am sending about 250 watts to the center. Of course that's more than the 175 watts center rating.

I searched for Ron's post when he answered someone's question about using the Samson for the center but I can't seem to find it now. So Ron help me out here, am I putting my center in danger?

6. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I'm not an expert, but I would think you would be fine as long as you have your center channel calibrated to the same level as before you used the amp and you don't turn the master volume on your receiver any louder than you did before.

7. Barry BB

Sheldon

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I am properly calibrated and my master volume is usually 10 to 15 db below reference.