Samson S1000 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Gl, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a Samson S1000 amplifier for use with two SVS 20-39 CS+ subwoofers. The combination is as impressive as others have reported, except that the fan noise is louder than I expected.

How loud? Immediately after turning on the Samson S1000 and the protection turning off, the fan noise near the air intakes measures 58 dB on my RS sound level meter. The Samson housing remains very cool when operated even at high power output as does the air exhausted from the back. I am wondering whether the fans may be operating at high speed, rather than varying speed. I had anticipated that the fan noise level would normally be below the minimum sensitivity of the RS sound level meter.

What is the experience of other Samson S1000 users as to fan noise level? If someone would measure the fan noise level from their Samson S1000 with a sound level meter, this would provide an objective basis for me to evaluate whether the fan noise I am hearing is normal.

Thanks,
    Mike

P.S. - I earlier posted under Receivers/Separates/Amplifiers without a response after several hours and have also contacted Ron at SVS. Perhaps the SVS - Samson S1000 users are too busy enjoying LOTR to read posts in other forums.

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Mike,

You have mail. This does not sound normal.

Ron

3. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

Thanks for the mail. I have sent a reply.

Once again, you have demonstrated the exceptional customer service that SVS offers.

Regards,
    Mike