Samson S1000 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Gl, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a Samson S1000 amplifier for use with two SVS subwoofers. The combination is as impressive as others have reported, except that the fan noise is louder than I expected.

Shortly after turning on the Samson S1000, the fan noise measures 58 dB on my Radio Shack sound level meter. The Samson housing remains very cool when operated as does the high volume of air exhausted from the back. I am wondering whether the fans may be stuck on a high speed.

I would appreciate hearing from other Samson S1000 users as to their experience with fan noise level. If someone would measure the fan noise level from their Samson S1000 with a sound level meter, this would provide an objective basis for me to evaluate whether the fan noise I am hearing is normal.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dave N.

Dave N. Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    I am also interested in an answer.

To standardize results,what distance was the meter from the amp and what settings were you using?

Dave

3. Mike Gl

My RS sound level metter was on the 60 dB range and read -2 dB. The other settings were the same as for calibration using Avia or Video Essentials, i.e., slow response and C weighting. I placed the meter about an inch from the air intake on the Samson S1000 in taking the reading. The noise near the exhaust was at the same level.

The fan noise level two meters away at my front row of theater seats is about 50 dB, although this is near the minimum range of the meter so readings may not be very accurate. However, 50 dB is only 25 dB below the 75 dB level at which I calibrated my system.

For reference, with the Samson S1000 turned off I set the volume using a test signal played through my front speakers to a low level that was clearly audible 12 feet away. I then measured the sound level one inch from the drivers (actually, two separate measurements near the tweeter then the woofer) at this volume. The reading was in the mid 50 dB range.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

When you say noise do you mean the rushing of air or the sound of something solid rattling around?

My S1000 had the latter and I took the top cover off, took the two fans out and re-installed them tightly.

Otherwise, I am not aware of any 50-60db fan noise with my unit.

5. Mike Gl

The noise I am hearing appears to be largely due to air movement. There is an intermittent, very low level noise that sounds like it might be mechanical in origin, but I only hear this within a few inches of the S1000.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

7. Mike Gl

Juan,

I had tried loosening the screws on the Samson S1000 fans a quarter or half turn, but it did not eliminate the noise I am hearing.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

8. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

This is odd because Samson is one of the quieter professional amps out there. Maybe you can contact the manufacturer and see if they have a suggestion on a fan upgrade that is quieter. Alot of times it all comes down to money. Less expensive fans equal more noise. Most people who use these in commercial applications are not concerned with a little fan noise. I am thinking about doing a modification myself on my QSC amp as the fan noise is noticeable at low volume.

9. CoreyH

CoreyH Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I have a Samson 1000 powering my CS+, and I have absolutely no problem with loud fan noise. Actually, I am quite impressed with how quiet it is. I most definitely can not hear it at all from my seating position, even when the amp is quite warm. (By the way, my seating is only about 6 ft from the amp).

I would think that your amp is not acting properly. Maybe try emailing samson or svs cust support, and see if they have any suggestions.

Hope this helps, and I hope you get the problem solved!

10. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

This is odd. Mine s1000 produces some noise, but I can only hear it if the room is completelly silent. My pioneer dvd makes more noise (tray noise) than the s1000.

11. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

12. Mike Gl

I appreciate the helpful input from other Samson S1000 users. This reassured me that the fan noise I am hearing is not typical.

SVS customer support has been extraordinarily responsive, understanding and helpful. A replacement Samson S1000 is on the way. It is a pleasure to do business with a company that offers great products and willingly travels the extra mile to satisfy their customers.

Mike

13. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

One other idea if warranty is not an issue.
    1. open up the amp and measure the size of the fan (height and width) and take a look at the brand name.
    2. replace it with a fan of equal cfm or better that is quieter. Take a look here for some ideas. Look for a fan in the following website that moves the most air (cfm) and has the lowest db. Some of these fans also have built in rheostats so you can adust the speed on the fly and etc...
    http://www.coolerguys.com/
    Stay away from delta fans unless you want your amp to sound like a hairdryer. I have 12 panny fans in my computer and it measures less than 55 dbs at 3 ft away. 1 or 2 at six feet away should be very quiet.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

14. Mike Gl

My replacement Samson S1000 amplifier ordered late Sunday arrived today. The measurement using my Radio Shack sound level meter at the cooling air intakes of the replacement is 3 to 4 dB quieter than my first Samson S1000. The fan noise is now below background noise at my first row of theater seats even during quiet passages in movies or music.

The customer service by SVS was superb. I received several helpful and courteous e-mails on Saturday and Sunday from both Ron and Erik at SVS to help me diagnose and resolve the situation.

Mike

15. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Although more expensive, SVS sells a Crown amp that does not have fans.

Tom