Samson Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joseph_Jackson, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Joseph_Jackson

Joseph_Jackson Auditioning

Hello All, I have a questions about samson amplifiers. I currently own a denon avr 3803. My receiver supposedly puts out 110 watts per channel. I have Boston Acoustic speakers all around. MAINS: VRM90'S CENTER: VRMC SURR: VR M50'S SURBAC: VR MEX: If I went to having separates amps power my speaker would they sound better? I believe I could play them louder, but would they sound better as well? I'm looking at the samaon 700 2 ch amp.

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Joseph,

The rule-of-thumb for adding more powerful amps is that it’s generally not worthwhile unless you double your current power. Doubling the power should net you about a 3-4dB increase in SPL level, if I remember correctly.

As for as an improvement in sound quality, it’s hard to say for sure. It will depend on the quality of the amps in your receiver vs. the quality of the outboard amp you get. And also, possibly, how the amp interacts with your speakers. You really won’t know for sure unless you try it. Some people report an improvement. However, I personally could not tell a difference when I added an amp. You might have to try a few different ones before you find one that sounds better to you.

Regarding the Samson amps, I’ve seen at least a couple of people on this Forum who tried to use them who reported that they sounded “gritty.” So if you get one of those, make sure you have a liberal return policy.

If you’re on a budget, you might look into is used amps. Usually amplifiers are very reliable, which makes them a safe purchase. Several year ago I picked up a pair of Adcoms for my system for less than the price of a single new one, and they’ve performed flawlessly.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I tried using a Samson 700 to drive my Martin-Logans. I was not at all impressed with the sound I got, my receiver was far better. Its an inexpensive amp, but there's no free lunch. Confine it to sub duty.

Larry

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Joseph, a number of members have some superb QSC and Crown amps that they recommend over the Samsons.