Samson 700 to power dual 20-39cs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I have had my dual setup for about a week, and they sound great, unforunately my amp is a piece of junk. Those of you who have the Samson amp do you feel like it is enough power to handle these subs. Does anyone know if the new drivers are still rated at 350 watts @ 4ohms? If you did not go with the Samson is there another amp in the $350 range that may be a better fit?

Greg

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The drivers in the CS/PC could handle much more than 350w thermally all along..but in the enclosures they are in...350w is about all you'll want to pump into them.(the drivers will be limited by the excursion which is dictated by the enclosure anyway)

If you had a 25-31(for example) and added a 25hz subsonic filter, you could probably run 500w into it without any problem at all.

TV

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

So in lamens terms, you could have a speaker rated at 500 watts but the enclosures limit how much the driver will move. Why do you see these smaller type cubes have 500,700 watts etc of power then if they will never use it?

I also am reading that to mean that a 350watt amp will make the speaker sound the same as a 500 watt amp.

I read an interesting thread yesterday that said you could bridge an amp to like 700 watts and then run the speakers in series, what would this do with your subs and is it recommended?

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Also most cube subs use equilization to boost the low end so they need more power to offset the loss in headroom.