Sampson S-700 amp for music???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony gattuso, Nov 5, 2001.

1. anthony gattuso

anthony gattuso Auditioning

Hi,
    I would like to know what you all think about using the Samson S-700 amp from SVS for driving 2-channel music. I am currently using an old reciever to drive my SVS sub, but am considering buying the S-700. (Two-channel, 350 wpc)
    I have the Diva 6.1s as my mains and love their sound and never use my sub for 2-channel music. I'd love to trying driving them with more power than my Onkyo 696, though, and am wondering if maybe the S-700 could work double duty. Onkyo driving mains for movies and the S-700 driving mains for music.
    Do you think this would work or is the sub amp just not up to par for music?
    Also, if you think it would work, is there some sort of A/B switch that would accept two inputs (speaker preouts and sub preout) and send it to a single output (S-700 amp)?
    thanks,
    anthony

2. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago (try searching for it), as I have an s700 sitting around waiting until I can affor an SVS (got a good deal on the amp used). [​IMG] From the few responses I got here and at AVS, the consensus was the that s700 was not up to sniff for 2-channel music, and that the receiver amps should do better. I think the reasoning had to do with SN ratio and THD. The "pro" amps just aren't designed for music reproduction...
    ------------------
    -Jason
    If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I wouldn't go with the S700 for music. IMO, a couple of nOrh Le Amps would sound much better. I believe there are some for sale over at Harmonic Discord. They sound excellent and are well worth getting.

4. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

But isn't bass music?
    The Sampsons are probably better than the Fideks, which were pro-wannabe amps.

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

6. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

"The "pro" amps just aren't designed for music reproduction..."
    I would agree in the Samson's case, but I would temper that somewhat. I would bet a $2000 high end crown pro amp would
    stack up well against nearly all receivers' amps and a great many mid-fi separate amps.
    BB

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

What is it about the design/performance of the Samson's that would make it *not* for full range use? If the amp is used within it's intended operating parameters(impedence,no clipping,ect)...it will work fine.In fact, I would seriously doubt is someone could hear any difference between the Samson and any other well designed SS amp. Of course, if you want to spend 10k on the latest fashion statement in amps...that's cool too.
    TV

8. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Is there any particular reason SVS would choose a lower quality amp for their subs? Do THD and SN ratio ratings NOT matter for low frequencies?

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The Samson will play music if you are going for full range. However, the Le Amps or Oddessy monoblock amps, for example, will do it much better. For powering subs, the Samson works wonderfully. I just wouldn't want to use it for the upper frequencies.

10. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

SVS are probably using cheap pro amps for the sole purpose of getting maximum watt for the buck. The Fidek (First Audio Manufacturing (Guangzhou) Ltd.) was probably widely used in the local villages' communist party PA systems out in China. I guess its better than
    Truth to behold, sub amps, especially those multi kilowatt class-D plate ones, are terrible amplifiers, relegated to only producing the rumbles and garbles of the low freq, and they are probably not very good at it.
    But to have authorative bass, one needs sub with good control and high current capability. A bridged configuration where both leads are supplying current would be good. A power supply with plenty of reserve would allow the amp to be in control for sustained period of massive rumbling.
    I don't think Krell puts a full channel of their FPB-600 into their MRS for nothing.

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

For 28k it better.

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>SVS are probably using cheap pro amps for the sole purpose of getting maximum watt for the buck.> The Fidek (First Audio Manufacturing (Guangzhou) Ltd.) was probably widely used in the local villages' communist party PA systems out in China.