Sampo or Apex for Akai 27"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickL, Sep 12, 2002.

1. NickL

NickL Auditioning

I am looking to put together an inexpensive yet high-value viewing experience. Based on recommendations from this site I bought the excellent AKAI Sam's Club special and am very happy.

Now I need a low priced DVD source. I need something that will be easy to use (kids) and has a good feature set (component, VCD, digital out etc). I think the compact flash feature on the Sampo DVE-631CF ($109) is something I would use. On the other hand I keep hearing great things about the APEX units (AD1600 - $90).

What I can't find is any reviews on the actual useablity of these units and image quality. It is safe to assume that most low end DVD players look the same and you are just paying for features?

Thanks!

2. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

AD1600? After reading the subject line, I thought for sure you'd say AD5131. Low-end, even many mid-range players, I doubt 95% of people could tell the difference. DVD players have now reached the level of "even the cheap stuff is good." Other than stay away from Oritron, it's hard to make a bad purchase, really. I can't recommend the Apex 5131 enough. It's $90 at Sam's, is a 3-disc changer, and plays SVCD. What more could you want?

3. NickL

NickL Auditioning

Didn't know Sam's Club had the Apex. I ordered the Sampo from Buy and had them price match with Amazon. With free shipping it all works out to $109.

Thanks for your response.