Sample veneers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex-F-V, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I would like to know if any of the sites that sell veneers give actual samples of the products they sell?
    I would also like some advice on some good places to get veneers.
    I'm thinking I might build a sub (maybe a tempest?) and would like it to match the finish of my maple energy take5.2's. (At least as close as possible.) And I don't really trust how true the color is on my monitor compared to the real thing. [​IMG]

I've also heard a lot about these "flexi rack?" All searches for them have led me to believe that they are not really a "brand" but more of a design idea. Any good places to get more info. on the process of building and design one.
    BTW I would also like to get this covered in a matching venner.

Thx in advance! [​IMG]

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

There is also the option of the vynle covering from Parts Express. I was a little leary of this stuff until today when I used the "cherry" for the first time. Works great. Looks just like veneer when stretched and layed properly. Took all of 15 minutes to do 2 speakers.

3. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I'm open to vinyl..... But does anyone mail samples out?

4. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

"vinyl covering from Parts Express"
    Does it stick pretty good or should a guy just buy the real wood veneer?
    Did you have rounded corners or square? I thought of this stuff but don't want it to peel off or look cheap. Does it look like a boughten speaker?
    If a person used wood veneer, what do you use to glue it with?

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Ah, the good ol' flexy rack. You can check mine out at the link below, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about them (materials , construction, etc.).

If you search this forum using the spelling " Flexy " you might pull up some helpful info.

good luck.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Alex, if you're on a budget, use the P.E. vinyl. I just did seven speakers for a customer and used the P.E. black stained ash vinyl and it looks better than I thought it would.
    My current main source for veneer is Tape-Ease:
    http://www.tapeease.com/venershts.htm
    Veneer sellers will mail you a sample. You might want to buy a selection of veneers for future reference. As for what glue to use, I recommend solvent-based contact cement for one-time use.

7. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

The PE stuff sticks great to MDF, and over pre-existing veneer. I did a test on the MDF to see what it would look like b/c I liked it so well I might use it on the sub I just built.

I went over pre-existing veneer on some old Pioneers my father has so they would match his cherry furniture. When I gave them back he told me:

"Wow, they look like you bought them that way."

They were square edges. I used the side of a pen to flatten it out on the edges.

8. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

There are some folks selling veneer sample kits on eBay, but you will have a hard time finding somebody who will send you a sample that's the same was what you would buy. Veneer can vary a lot from flitch to flitch, so any sample you get will almost certainly be different from what you get when you buy enough for your speakers.