Sample letter urging Congress to act on stalled HDTV transition (very long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Wesnor, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

I posted this a few days ago, but got no response. I figured I'd post the entire letter, so people could read it and decide whether they want to join the letter campaign. Right now, many people in Washington believe that we don't care about HDTV, but crusing the HT forums on the net, you can see that many people DO care. Here's your chance to change Washington's stance on HDTV.

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Dan,
    If you haven't noticed, we have a new section dedicated to HDTV.... I'm putting your post in there [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 1-21-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

3. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

That's cool. Obviously, I was going for visibility.

4. Don S

Don S Stunt Coordinator

Dan:
    Very well written! We need a lot more letters of this type to affect change too. There certainly is a lot to worry about regarding HDTV nowadays. You've responded eloquently to a major issue - the slow, tedious rollout of HDTV to the public. A very detailed, lucid appeal, and again, VERY WELL DONE!!!
    p.s. Another HDTV stumbling block is this damned copy protection issue. E-town revealed more bad news(specifically for DirecTV owners) pertaining to HDTV here .
    For those who want a preview ..
    ..."...DirecTV has made all the DirecTV HDTV set-top box makers install a circuit that allows DirecTV to turn off the box's HDTV abilities at will, forcing the viewer to revert to the box's standard definition 480i output. This previously undisclosed circuit is called Copy Generation Management System (CGMS). Installed in all the HDTV-capable DirecTV set-top boxes -- made by the biggest names in the industry, including Sony, RCA, Panasonic, Toshiba, Mitsubishi and Hughes -- this CGMS circuit is a way that program providers (via DirecTV) can prevent copying of HDTV movies and programs....".
    I didn't mean to digress from your post Dan, but all of this is REALLY getting frustrating ..
    ------------------
    Don

5. orestes

orestes Second Unit

It should also be pointed out that in the major cities like San Francisco where most of the TV viewers relay on "cable", there's no news in the horizon when AT&T will deliver HDTV thru cable. I believe that this is a huge obstacle to the wide spread of HDTV.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.
    P.S. I downloaded the letter, and I will edit it to point out my own concerns too.

6. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    Great letter!!! I will be editing this letter and sending it to my local Senator this evening.
    Gene

7. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Congressmen Billy Tauzin, Chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, and Fred Upton, Chairman of the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications are meeting on January 30th regarding these very issue. We also started a letter writing campaign on the AVS Forum regarding the new copy protection schemes. Here's a copy of my letter sent last week to Tauzin and Upton:

8. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I just wrote similar letters to the chairman, the two senators from California, and my own congresswoman Nancy Pelosi about HDTV and how I feel about this whole mess of HDTV, FCC, and cable companies.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.