Sammy's direct views

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanSR, Mar 28, 2002.

1. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

In keeping with Jack's post regarding quality over quantity, I will most likely be opting for either the 27 or 32" Samsung direct view HD. As I have a small 20" analog right now, I know I will be absolutely floored with the improvement with respect to HD, and I am quite sure that either of these sets will perform up to snuff. However, the only thing I am wondering about is the line doubler on these sets. Some have reported a sickly picture, but is this relative to HD or relative to regular analog. I have a clean sat signal now. Thanks...

Ryan

2. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Quantity is VASTLY underrated. I never cease to get excited at my 61 inch RPTV (Which is HDTV). Check out the guys at AVSFORUM as see what they can find for you in the realm of an FPTV before you buy some Dinky TV.

3. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Well, unfortunately, space is premium in my smaller apartment, and a screen is just out the question. I just want to make sure that the HD sets in these particular sizes will indeed upconvert my sat signal well in enough to justify their added costs. I would rather purchase the HD set and keep it longer than buy an analog and keep it for only 2-3 years.

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I have the tsl3294hf for the same reason as you. I don't have HD signal (yet), but have dishnetwork and a progressive player. I love mine, especially for what I paid for it. Geometry is off a bit, just moved this weekend and need to sit down with VE and get it right again. (they are al off to a degree). Otherwise, I LUV my set!

5. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Mike,

Are you the person who got a price match at Sears? If so, did you just bring in a printout of an HTML page? Do they actually go online to verify?

6. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

I've ordered the Hitachi 32UDX10S. Not a flat screen though, if that is what you are looking for. Seen posts and have received replies that this model is very nice.

Do a search here and on AVSFORUM.com for the 32UDX10S.

Hope this helps and not confuse you further with which TV to buy.

7. MikeyWeitz

I would stick with the Sammy. I wasnt that impressed with the Hitachi myself and see no reason to spend $1k + on a TV that isnt flat screen. I did buy mine from sears, but If I were, I would go armed with a printout from and online vendor. This TV can be had at BJ's wholesale club (like costco)for $999 right now as the new yr. models are coming out in a month or 2. New model adds 1 more component input, a digital chip to help with analog TV and 3:2 pulldown. If these are important to you, I would wait. I have Sat TV, a progressive DVD layer and can get a component switchbox if I need, so I got my TV right away. They can be had for a good price now (altho I got for a GREAT price, you will no longer be able to pay what I did for mine). Still a great deal at $999. Good luck!

If you must buy from Sears, I have a recipt for the TV from a Sears ($1250) in Texas a friend sent me that I could email to you.

8. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

So, the newer chip might be better at upconverting the 480i to 480p and may offer a smoother transition? Also, from what I understand about the 3:2 pulldown, it may offer the ability to reduce the judder during slow pans in a film, correct? I think I could live without that, as it probably would not bother me all that much, but the better picture from an analog signal would be great. I also get signal from the sat. If the price difference is not all that great, maybe I will wait if it will only be a month or two.

9. MikeyWeitz

Sat signal is digital, altho not high Def. I wouldn't worry about the new chip that deos a better job w/ analog if you have a Sat dish. You wont be getting analog anyway! Go for the BJ's deal for $999. You wont be sorry!

10. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

I think I will check out BJ's, thanks for the tip. I think sat should still be thought of as analog, because it is the sat box, not the TV, which decodes the digital into analog, correct? I thought anything traditional 480i (OTA, sat, cable, etc.) is considered analog, and everything else, digital. Or am I wrong...

11. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I would also second gong to Costco or somewhere similar for a big item purchase. Don't know about the others, but Costco will take anything back for almost any reason. I've seen people return half-empty fruit flats and get a full refund (I think that's crazy, but they do it.)

If your TV breaks 2 years down the road and it's from Costco (and you kept the receipt!), they will give a full refund. It's like getting a guaranteed warantee for years without paying a single cent for it. Also, if you get it home and just don't like it, you can return it no questions asked. Costco is a a really nice setup for returns.

Just antother 2c...

13. Jon-Ste

Jon-Ste Auditioning

I have owned the TSL3295HF since early Dec 2001. I cannot believe someone describes the picture as sickly. I am very pleased with picture quality (Time Warner Cable analog input in Western Mass). But I have got one minor problem - the "stereo/mono" indication comes up very frequently at times and is distracting. Does anyone else have this problem with the set or some other set? It doesn't matter how the sound options are set up (stereo, mono, SAP). I have more info on this problem if anyone wants to discuss it.

14. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Ryan,

So if I understand your post correctly, those sets that do NOT do the pulldown, such as the current Samsungs I'm considering, they will present every 5th video frame as a mixed frame, one field corresponding to one film frame and the other field corresponding to the next film frame. What are the visual artifacts of NOT having this feature? Would it be a "blurring" every 5th video frame?

Also, I do not understand how this can be a function of the TV itself. I would think the TV to be a rather dummy box simply displaying the code from the source material. I can understand the necessity for this feature if the source were in its native film format, 24 fps. But, as it never is, even on DVDs, doesn't the TV simply behave how it's told, how it's dictated by the actual player?