Sammy Sosa should write the Cubs a check for $270,000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I'm surprised I can still get upset about the Cubs, considering their year is over. But this weekend proved that the Cubs are truly gutless -- on two fronts. First, they fire manager Don Baylor, who, while making his share of mistakes, was not the main reason for this disastrous season. Then, they allow Sammy Sosa to skip three games for a hand injury to his wife.

Sosa's wife cut her finger on Thursday and will apparently need minor (no anesthesia) hand surgery this coming Monday. Sosa decided to miss not only Friday's game against the Braves, but also Saturday and Sunday. The Cubs predictably lost two out of three, and today managed only three hits.

And now I read that Sosa will play in Tuesday's All-Star game, even though it will be the day after his wife's surgery! If anything, shouldn't he take the time off after the procedure??? At Sosa's current salary, he was paid over $270,000 for games I believe he should have been at. Unless there is something else going on that we don't know about, this behavior is inexcusable.

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Quite frankly I think you need to get a grip.

The Cubs are like any other employer, Sosa ask for the time off to go be with his family and they approved the leave.

If the Cubs don't have a problem with it neither should you because in the end it is none of your business.

By the way, Baylor richly dissevered his fate. As one writer on ESPN.com wrote Baylor should never manage again in the majors because the game has past him by.

The only reason I could have imagined keeping Don through the rest of the year is then they could have fired him in the off season and gone after Dusty Baker who is rumored to be out of SF if they don't make a big post season run.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Sammy Sosa is on steroids.

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Where the hell did that come from??

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

A cut ring finger = a family emergency. [​IMG] Steroid Sam-Me needs to get a grip. The real reason he took off was to try and take the heat off of himself from the Reilly article.

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Guys, give the man a break. The cubs gave hime the time off, so let him do what he wants with it. It's not like his team is fighting for a playoff spot.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Break my ass. The guy is paid to entertain. Every fan that pays for a ticket has the right to question him about a suspect "family emergency."

8. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Brian. Sammy should write a nice check out to a worthy charity. Baylor had to take the fall though Brian. You had to see the players changed respect of him after he fired Oscar last August. Cubs are done. Sox are barely breathing. The Yanks on the other hand, are the Yanks.

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Speaking of which, what's up with all these chumps taking off from the All-Star game? They were selected by the fans. The least they could do is show up.
    [​IMG]

10. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I wouldn't want to face Glavine and Maddux either, and yes, John, the MLB All-Star Game Sucks! People would rather be off golfing, fishing, or Like some odd-ball Red Sox pitchers, playing with their house plants.

Chris

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

12. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I agree with Mike. They cancelled the World Series for God's sake!

13. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Look, if Sosa had to work year-'round the way the rest of us do, I'd say lighten up. But he only works half a year and makes more in one season than the vast majority of us will ever see in a lifetime. So, yeah, taking that time off for so minor an issue seems a bit much. Add to that the fact we just might see another players' strike this year, and I have little patience for players taking time off when unnecessary. What next? The 21-day disabled list for a bout of the sniffles?

Sorry, I'm in a foul mood today.

15. Brian Perry

Patrick,

I agree that Baylor probably needed to go (there is no excuse for putting Darrin Lewis in center when Patterson has finally emerged), but there is no argument that the real culprit in this mess is Andy MacPhail. There is just no argument.

As for Sosa, I guess we will have to agree to disagree that he is not just an employee asking for time off from his employer.

16. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

If the All Star Game wasn't such a joke, players wouldn't be so quick to opt out of it. Fans vote for their local team and the managers take their favorite players. I don't want to get into that any more here because there's a whole thread already dedicated to it.

17. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

The whole thing seems a little fishy to me. I think there may be more to the story than has been made puplic. Baylor and Sosa have never seen eye to eye and their relationship has walked a fine thread ever since Baylor made a comment about Sammy not stealing enough when he was first hired.

If they did have another arguement, I don't think Sosa would have to say too much to get Baylor fired.

18. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim

19. CameronP

CameronP Auditioning

Brian,

Not trying to start a big debate, but I was wondering why you think MacPhail is the biggest cause of the problems. I hear a lot of people say that, but I guess I'm not convinced yet. No one has given me a rational take on things. Here's my take on some of his bigger moves.

Alou - Granted he sucks this year, but his career numbers are phenomenal. We the deal was announced, I was happy. It seemed like we addressed a need with a quality proven player.

McGriff - Before the trade I heard everyone say how much they wanted him. He hasn't panned out, but is that MacPhail's fault? I do wish we was gone after last year, but I can't remember the details on the option year.

Hundley - Again, he is sucking, but we needed a catcher and he had the best resume out there. Wish we would have gone 2 years instead of 4, but maybe that's what it took.

Deshields - I agree he should be gone now, but when we picked him up...cheap...he was a year removed from being the MVP of his team. Looked like he needed the proverbial change of scenery.

Mueller - Was on fire last year before he got hurt.

Gonzalez - Was on fire this year before he got hurt.

Maybe I'm in denial (I thought Baylor was the biggest problem), and that is a pretty long list, but almost every move was initially applauded by everyone I know. If these guys are even close to their career averages, we're golden.

Some of the moves that I've always hated, I attributed to Baylor. Jerking Patterson and Rosy around. Giving Ojeda a million chances to eclipse .200.

The most telling thing I read about Baylor was in the Trib right after we was fired. The day before he was sitting alone in the clubhouse complaining to a reporter that he didn't have any sort of relationship with any of his players. I don't care what kind of players you put on a team, with problems like that you're not going to win.

I'll stop rambling now, but I love to talk Cubs bball, and I'm so thrilled to see Baylor gone, that I can't bring myself to b%&#h about MacPhail right now.

Oh and so we don't get too far off topic, yes the Cubs granted a fair amount of latitude to Mr. Sosa and his recent *ahem* family emergency.

Just my .02 though your return on investment may vary.....

20. Brian Perry

Cameron,

While many of those deals looked good on the surface, they had a common element: signing older players past their prime, many prone to injury.

Any time there has been a chance to pick up a truly star player -- Mike Piazza, Randy Johnson, etc., the Cubs are nowhere to be found. MacPhail can cry about injuries 'til he's blue in the face, but it's not a valid argument because the probability of injuries was so great to begin with. Flash Gordon was coming off of a season-ending arm injury. Bill Mueller was coming off a season-ending broken kneecap. Hundley was rumored to be an alcoholic and then injured his thumb via his own stupidity by not wearing the protective thumbguard he normally wears. Alou had a history of DL stints a mile long. And so on. Gordon's and Farnsworth's absences didn't even mean much because 1)the Cubs picked up Alfonseca and 2)saving games wasn't the problem--scoring runs was.

If you look at MacPhail's 8-year tenure with the Cubs, they have two losing seasons for every winning one.