Same model speaker, 1 old, 1 new, will they sound the same?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Plucker, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Hi all,

I currently have a Def Tech 5.1 setup. I am considering moving to 7.1 setup. What I would like to do is take my current center, a C2, move it to the back, and buy another C2 for 2nd additional rear channel. I would then buy 3 C/L/R 2002 for the front L/R and center.

I have been told by Def Tech that there hasn't been any design changes to the C2 so it should work fine. I am wondering if others agree that after a break in period, both the old and new C2 should sound the same.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Keith, most likely there won't be any difference. Also, since the three new ones will be the front soundstage, if there is any difference between those and the old you most likely won't even notice it. They wouldn't continue using the same model number if they changed any significant parts, so even if there were some minor changes, they would hopefully not cause any sonic differences. Also, placement will most likely make some differences anyways. But these things tend to be so slight most people don't notice them.

If after break in, you think you notice differences, get someone to help you with a blind test and then see if those differences are there. If you're looking for something, you'll probably find it, even if its not really there.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Unless the speaker has been damaged in some way, there is no reason to suspect it will sound any different that its compatriots.
    With use, the suspension of a speaker becomes more compliant...it moves easier. This effect does not take long to occur and measurements of speaker Performance characteristics of 'fresh speakers' and 'broken in speakers, to my knowledge, have found that the speaker is generally within the manufacturer's tolerances. Now basically, what this suggests or means, is that no two, same type speakers measure exactly the same. There are slight differences and it is assumed, by us, that from the manufacturer's perspective, these differences are of an inconsequential nature. Now this does not imply that a 10 year old speaker would sound necessarily the same as a new one (like they'd really be selling the same model with no design changes!) since then factors such as material fatigue, loss of plasticizer, may come to play a factor.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

No argument from me Saurav.
    The topic of break-in was discussed by David Clark. ("Precision Measurement of Loudspeaker Parameters", David C. Clark, JAES, Vol. 45, No. 3 (March 1997), pg. 129.). If you're interested in reading it Saurav, you can probably arrange for an interlibrary loan and read it at your leisure at no cost. Also there may be local universities with the full JAES publications on hand.
    Essentially, the breakin phenomena is largely complete in about a minute of playing a sufficiently strong signal to tax the driver. I'd imagine, running some pink noise at high volumes with ear plugs would suffice. Or turn them to face each other out of phase. Either way.
    What generally occurs with a new set of speakers, one which you've never had before in your home, is that one is becoming accustomed to them. Some call that break-in, but from the published work, this extended period of time is for the listener to adapt to the speakers own unique peculiarities. Listener adaptation is a well known psychoacoustic effect. Either way, one needs some time with speakers, their placement, perhaps their room environment to find out if that's the one for them. A bit off topic, and for that I apologize [​IMG]

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Sometimes crossovers and drivers change even within the same model of speaker. Minor, yes. But it does happen.

You can sometimes check the revision level of the crossover and drivers with the help of a screwdriver. I would have no idea as to any problem with these changes.

hope this helps.

OH, just reread your first post. If DT has stated no differences or further revisions then my point is moot.

John

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It does feel good making something and when it sounds good, voila!

9. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Thanks for all the feedback. It doesn't sound like I will have any problems.
    The HTF comes through again! [​IMG]
    -Keith

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

From your lips to god's ears...let us know your actual experiences.