Sam Raimi to take on the Discworld!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Matt Czyz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

I'm a huge Discworld geek, and it excites me to no end that Terry Pratchett's series is finally making it to the big screen.

News here.

Considering that there's close to 30 Discworld books right now, The Wee Free Men is actually a pretty damn good place to start. The main character (a kick-ass 9 yr old girl determined to save her brother with the only weapon that's handy-a frying pan) should translate well, and the storyline really doesn't require any knowledge of the Disc and its geography at all-and it shows that elves really are not to be trusted [​IMG] I can't freakin' wait!

2. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Great news, if it happens. He has to finish Spiderman 3 first and a lot can happen in a year and a half.

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Personally, I've always thought Mort would make a great film - but now I come to think about it, there may be concern that some parents may be reluctant about taking their kids to a film with Death as a main character.

In any case, The Wee Free Men is a good book and should make a great film - provided they find a good Tiffany, because she will be carrying the film.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Completely unfamiliar with the books, but interested because of Raimi. Might be interesting!

5. Mike.P

Mike.P Second Unit

The books sound familiar, and I'm intrigued since IIRC, it's a sci-fi/fantasy setting. Anxious to hear more on this.

6. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

Discworld makes me explode! I LOVE Discworld! Can't wait to see this project develop.

7. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

I've never read Discworld, but if there are 30 books, I feel pretty sure they won't pick one of them and adapt it. They're probably going to pull elements and scenes / plots / characters from across them all and build a story out of those. Hollywood yo.

8. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

The fact that the story takes place on the Discworld isn't even all that important to the story, so I would not be surprised if there isn't even a mention of what kind of world the story takes place in (it would just make things a lot more confusing - "You see, there's a huge turtle swimming through space. And there's 4 elephants on top of it's shell. And an entire world rests on their backs. And the world is flat.")

The storyline is pretty similar to Labryrinth (kinda sorta somewhat), and just keeping the focus of the story on Tiffany and the Wee Free Men would definitely serve the movie best, instead of trying to bring the entire Western world up to date on life on the Disc.

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

And you are pretty much right. You probably could just take a few characters and build a story out of it, and if it is Pratchett enough, it would make for a pretty good movie. It is kinda what they did with the first Discworld game (even if a lot of the content comes from "Guards! Guards!".

I found that there is a wikipedia article on the Nac Mac Feegle, if you guys are curious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle

Jason