Sam Phillips (female)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Will_B, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Just a heads up that singer/songerwriter Sam Phillips...

“Proof enough that the secular and the spiritual can intersect in strange and affecting ways.” —The New York Times

...finally has a website. Nothing on it yet; it just went live a couple days ago. But long time fans should probably add it to their favorites list just in case it starts to offer anything:

http://www.samphillipsmusic.com

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sam Phillips is one of my all time favorites. Her brilliant albums "Cruel Inventions" and "The Indescribable Wow!" are both available as 96/24 DADs (DVD-Video with 96/24 PCM Hi-Rez stereo sound) from Classic Recordings. They are stunning. "Martinis and Bikinis" is her masterpiece.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Hey, so I'm not the only one with those two Digital Audio Discs. Yes, they are tremendous. Much better than the CDs. Hard to find but well worth finding - they really illuminate those two early albums. They're basically high resolution audios put onto a DVD medium. They're from before SACD or DVDA or DualDisc existed...sort of a halfway step there. And the only way to get those two albums in high resolution (higher than CD).

As for her masterpiece, I'm not sure. I've got most all of her discs in my carousel player and I just treat it as one giant 'Sam Phillips Symphony' - though I think I'd pick 'Fan Dance' if I had to choose.

David Byrne fans please behave! (They were so rude during her New Orleans show - she's opening for Byrne - last weekend that she had to give up on a couple songs, I'm told).

4. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

She's insanely good, and David Byrne fans should know better.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I saw her live when she was opening for Bruce Cockburn just after the release of "Cruel Inventions". Just her singing and David Mansfield playing guitar. She opened with "Lying", I was in the 6th row. One of her best songs and the performance was chilling. From the first chorus I knew I was going to buy everything she ever did and everyting in the future.

6. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Phil suckered me into Sam Phillips several years ago and it's been all downhill since. She is just a singular talent. Fan Dance is breathtaking, and her new one album, A Boot and a Shoe is Fan Dance Part 2.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Thanks for the info. I became a fan with her release of Martinis and serendipitously she came to my college town that fall for a show, along with her husband. I think for a good couple years her CDs were all I listened to. And I think she's the only "celebrity" I've ever written a fan letter to!

I was thrilled when the Gilmore Girls pilot featured not one but two of her songs and when she got the job as composer for the show's incidental music. I still get excited when I hear her stuff on the show, entering its fourth season!

I haven't listened to her newer stuff quite as much but I do own the DADs of her first two (and let me tell you I was SUPER excited when I found out about those). As far as I know they are very easy to purchase direct from Classic Records.

http://www.classicrecords.com/catalo...m?sku=DAD-1009
    http://www.classicrecords.com/catalo...m?sku=DAD-1013

Here's something I wrote about the concert I attended:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_2031067268

EDIT: Just saw Classic is no longer selling direct but links are provided for where to purchase.

8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

That's horrible! I'm surprised Byrne fans would act this way.

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thanks for remembering that once upon a time there was a Sam Phillips (male).

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    There's also another female Sam Phillips, but I don't think she would be appropriate on this forum.

11. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

You're just gonna let that sit there, aren't you?

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Try to keep the microphone away from that other Sam Phillips.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ange Hamm and I saw her live last night.

Amazing!

14. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

I think everyone here is resourceful enough [​IMG]

And very jealous you guys got to see her live. Hopefully she'll be swinging through this neck of the country.

15. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

I saw her Tuesday night at Zankel Hall in NY and it was easily one of the very best concerts I've see in 30+ years of concert-going. Great, small jewels of songs performed by wonderful, sympathetic musicians (including for most of the evening a skilled string quartet). At one point she sang "Animals on Wheels" accompanied by a cell phone playing a distorted solo guitar (on a file in the cell phone, I guess).

And, it was all in just under one hour -- the perfect time for this series of small wonders.

Oh, and she had the good sense not to add on gratuitous encores -- she did her songs and ended the show.

I've seen a ton of big and small shows by all types of artists, and this was unique in its presentation and in achieving absolutely everything it was shooting for.

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sorry the Arlington VA show was the last of the tour.[​IMG]
    Actually it was a micro cassette recorder. A cell phone would be much too high tech for that show.

I agree with your assessment. It almost makes up for me missing Maria McKee when she came around last.

17. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Good to hear she continues to reject the encore pretenses.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I thought her rejection of the tradition of leave, clap like crazy, do an encore was pretentious. [​IMG]