What's new

Sam Peckinpah Westerns Collection is Here, But! See Post #81 (1 Viewer)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Oop! Sorry for the posting the wrong link. :frowning: As Mark has noted, it's www.hollywood-elsewhere.com.

I think I was having a flashback to the good old days of DVD Express. I'm sure some of you remember that place... :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Copy and paste worked... thanks. If anything, I always thought the color on the old, non-anamorphic transfer was too saturated and noisy. The new transfer looks more natural to me. Also, I did notice that he used a digital camera for the "image capture". Geez. :rolleyes

I'm really looking forward to this release. The Wild Bunch has been my favorite western since being introduced to the movie in a college film class back in 1980 or '81.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I got off the phone with my local Canadian retailer this afternoon and was informed that they have recieved 5 copies in stock.

The bad news is... they are "Edition Francais", whatever that means. I asked and was told that it was probably just the French box art.

If so - :angry: :angry: :angry:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oh shit, are Warner starting that crap too, now? Warner DVDs in Canada have always been packaged seperately with the Canadian rating on the packaging - it could simply be this with the Peckinpah. The Val Lewton set wasn't bilingual. At the least, I hope that only the outer cardboard sleeve is bilingual and that the individual covers are unfuckedup. Otherwise, this will spoil the look of my almost-complete collection of Peckinpah DVDs.

Damn my anal retentiveness! :b

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Region-ZERO, NTSC, anamorphic widescreen edition of Cross Of Iron (the full 128-minute version) available here for $4 plus shipping:

www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=13960

DVD Beaver comparison of the UK edition and the Korean edition:

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/fil...rossofiron.htm

I have the UK disc which looks fine to me. I love this film. The final confrontation between Steiner and Stransky is one of the favourite scenes in Cinema:

Stransky: "Where is your platoon?"

[Steiner reflects on what has happened]

Stransky: "STEINER! Where is the rest of your platoon?"

[Steiner pauses, looks at Stransky witheringly]

Steiner: "You, Captain Stransky - you are the rest of my platoon."

It's an amazing retort, but the following is even more darkly poetic:

Stransky: "I will show you how a true Prussian officer fights."

Steiner: "Then I will show you, where the Iron Crosses grow."

The absurd, surreal ending used to get heavily criticised, but I love it - it fits the film and me perfectly. But then the deplorable acts by the Nazis run through the credits with the sound of the gun cocking moving the credits on with Coburn's disturbing laugh and the conclusive, "Ah, shit." It was the first Peckinpah film I ever saw (on widescreen VHS) and it blew my mind. I think it was also the first Coburn performance I ever saw right there and then I was a lifetime fan. A definitive edition is overdue; a Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle commentary would be just as entertaining and fascinating as the previous sessions.

The next Killer Elite DVD will be a Blu-Ray edition, I would guess and is a long way off, unfortunately.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Wild Bunch is my all-time favorite Western, too!

I am especially psyched to watch it with my wife since she's never seen it and has really gotten into Westerns over the past few years. :)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Gordon, thanks for those links. I too am a fan of Cross of Iron, but it's been years since I've seen it.

The DVD medium can officially retire now that Pat Garrett is available--perhaps my most coveted unreleased classic. I'm curious as to how the new cut differs from the previous "director's cut", which is the version I'm familiar with and own on laserdisc.

--Jefferson Morris

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I am waiting to hear exactly what's getting released in Canada before I place my order; I am a little gun-shy (sorry) about Warner releases after the, admittedly rare, omission of extras due to rights issues in the past.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Usually what I do is compare UPC codes for what's being sold in an American online store and the code of the same in Canadian stores. If these are some discrepencies I wait and see.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I'm not a student of the two cuts of Pat Garrett, but I must say that I don't like the transfer of the 2005 Special Edition that well. The colors look artificially pumped and the grain has been digitally reduced a little bit beyond my comfort zone. It takes normal skin tone and throws it into deep red sunburn... the sky is so blue you'd think the paint was still wet.

The 1988 Turner Preview version looks much more natural. It's softer and the sound is a notch weaker, but at least the color and contrast levels are right. This version looks filmlike, and that's my primary concern. Disc one much more obviously went through a digital step.

Besides... I think I like that cut better. The new cut is a bit choppier, more rushed. I like the relaxed, jazz-riffy-ness of the 1988 version.

What a great film! First time watching and first time loving.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I like how Wells calls his cropped, resized, heavily compressed, shot-off-a-television photographs "unmanipulated."

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm just here to confirm that the set was not delayed in Canada, nor is there any billingual packaging. I've had this in my hands since yesterday evening and it's all here, as advertised. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Anybody have luck finding this in a B&M?

The weekly roundup has this listed with a price for Best Buy, but they don't have it on their website, they didn't have it in the store, and the employee was clueless.

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Paul and Marco; for some reason it never occurred to me to check the UPC codes. After doing so and finding out they were identical I was happy to take the plunge, but Marco's concrete confirmation has completely alleviated my paranoia :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Marco, Where did you pick this up? I checked Future Shop last night, but they had nothin, aside from about 2000 copies of Transporter 2 and Red Eye. Amazon.ca shows a release of Jan 24.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Marco, I went to Metro Video yesterday and they told me it was delayed (the hwole set and the individual releases) to January 24. If you have picked it up, would you please tell me where in Montreal did you get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks