Sam Fuller Movies...???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jan 15, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Looking over Amazon.com, it seems that a majority of Sam Fuller's filmography does not exist on DVD and in many cases, is absent from VHS release as well... Does anyone have the scoop on the following Fuller flicks, and whether we might ever see them released on DVD in the near future:

- Park Row
    - The Steel Helmet
    - Underworld USA
    - Forty Guns
    - I Shot Jesse James
    - Run Of The Arrow

and the excellent documentary film... "The Typewriter, The Rifle & The Movie Camera" as well?

2. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

FORTY GUNS is available in the UK (Region 2 PAL) in an absolutely excelent but totally barebones CinemaScope release - it has been reviewed at DVD BEAVER (although it is anamorphic, despite what they say)

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Sergio, is it worth importing though since I've already been waiting this long or should I keep patient and wait to see what surfaces in R1?

4. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

What can I tell you, the DVD is very good and quite cheap and if you have a multi-standard machine and TV, why not?

Fox in Europe is licensing a vast amount of its back catalogue to small or independent companies, especially here in the UK and in France - obviously this isn't happening in the US (although I wish it would so I could get my hands on the restored versions of the CHARLIE CHAN films, but that's a whole other thread, as Joel McCrae almost says at the end of THE PALM BEACH STORY [Really looking forward to THAT release]).

Titles currently available include a quartet from Otto Preminger released by the BFI (CARMEN JONES, WHIRLPOOL, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, FALLEN ANGEL) while Second Sight distributes an excellent UNFAITHFULLY YOURS which even has a few decent extras as well as THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and there are others too. Weird frankly, especially when Fox isn't releasing most of its Fox Classics titles over here, except in occasional cut down versions with no extras.

You win some, you lose some.

Sergio

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Marco,

Go for it. I've got it and it's one of my favorite releases of last year. As Sergio says, it's a good transfer on a relatively cheap edition. I think we 've got a long wait for FORTY GUNS in R1.