What's new

Sam and Max sequel announced (1 Viewer)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
This is a new Lucasarts game, not to be confused with the now-cancelled X-Box game by Infinite Machine. The hitch, of course, is that it won't be out until 2004. Here's the press release:

SAM & MAX TO HIT THE ROAD (AND OTHERS) IN LONG AWAITED CLASSIC ADVENTURE SEQUEL FROM LUCASARTS
Popular Madcap Dog and Rabbity Thing to Return for More Hilariously Skewed Adventures First Quarter 2004 on Windows PC

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- August 27, 2002 -- Sam & Max, interactive entertainment's most beloved canine and rabbit combo, hit the road again first quarter 2004 in a long awaited adventure comedy sequel for Windows PC from LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC. The follow up to the critically acclaimed 1993 adventure classic Sam & Max Hit the Road® will dispatch the Freelance Police into a wild world of screwy and vaguely quixotic missions. Each one will be jam packed with nerve-jangling action, brain-busting puzzles, and the kind of easygoing banter one might expect from a talking dog and a naked, hyperkinetic bunny.

Sam & Max are based upon the "Sam & Max Freelance Police" comic book series created by Steve Purcell. LucasArts' Michael Stemmle, co-director of the award-winning original game, will direct the sequel.

"Sam & Max Hit the Road is a classic and as close to being a signature game as any LucasArts has ever done," says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts. "The Sam & Max sequel, much like the recently announced Full Throttle® II, perfectly complements LucasArts' renowned adventure game legacy and lends further support to the company's commitment to investing in and developing more of our original properties."

[end]

Only one question comes to mind: "Does it involve wanton destruction?"

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Cool! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Ugh, 2004... going to mak for a painful wait.
Now let's have an announcement for another Grim Fandango! :D
Dan

millercv

Second Unit
Holy sizzling-weasels-on-a-stick I can hardly wait!

Hit the Road is the funniest game ever made and I'll be waiting impatiently for the sequel...

I want a corndog!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully both of these games include the original versions, updated to run on XP, as easter eggs.

I bet we get Xbox versions as well...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Sweet! Sam and Max Hit the Road is probably one of my favorite PC games of all time :D
2004? awww :frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hey, they need some time to make a quality game

I can wait for more S&M goodness
shame they'll missthe 10th anniversary

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
You know what, I got a e-mail from Lucusart the other day (newsletter) and it mention this new Sam and Max game, but also said that if you pre-order Armred and Dangerous (fun looking squadbased game) that you will get a disc with a demo of Armed and Dangerous and the orignal Sam and Max game. By the way, I love that short lived cartoon (hope that get a dvd) and will definately get this game.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Kenneth,

Did the newsletter say anything interesting about the game?

Checkout the comics. The Fox cartoon show expunged Purcell's morbid humor which surprisingly the original video game contained.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Here the quote from the Armred and Dangerous section of the Lucasart site.

Armed and Dangerous™ Preview Disk
Get the Armed and Dangerous™ Preview Disk when you pre-order your copy of Armed and Dangerous™ at Participating retailers. The disk includes The complete original (and somewhat deranged), animated adventure game SAM and MAX Hit the Road

The complete original (and somewhat deranged), animated adventure game SAM and MAX Hit the Road

Bonus, sneak peek trailer of the next adventures of Sam and Max as they continue to make the world safe for silent mammals everywhere in the upcoming 2004 game, SAM & MAX Freelance Police

A revealing look at the concept art and back story that inspired the Armed and Dangerous™ game.

Cinematic cut scene from the dramatic and thrilling opening of Armed and Dangerous™

Music sampler from the Armed and Dangerous™ soundtrack. Download six original tracks from the game and set the mood for some action...lots and lots of action!
I need to pick up the old issues for Sam and Max soon.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I love that short lived cartoon (hope that get a dvd) and will definately get this game.
Just to go on a tangent, Nelvana (Canada) has released three Sam and Max videotapes to our neighbors up north. You'll still probably find the 3-VHS set on eBay, which is where I got it. I promptly converted those bad boys over to DVD-R.

I contacted Nelvana a few months ago regarding the upcoming LucasArts game telling them that a joint LucasArts/Nelvana release of the game and the DVD would be the best thing that they can do for the Sam and Max series. I hope they take my advice seriously.

Now, to keep it in the thread ... if it's 1/2 as funny as the original, it will still be hysterical. I hope that Steve Purcell is still involved. That's his baby and his humor, so it just wouldn't be the same without having him involved.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
The problem with the cartoon show was the same as "The Tick" -- Fox didn't know who they should be making it for. I think that it would have worked much better on a network like Comedy Central or HBO. Hopefully the new game will be a reprise of Purcell's unique sense of humor.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Nothing that I've seen-the lucasarts website is still just about the same as before. Still, they haven't announced a cancellation, so I suppose that's a good thing too. I'd expect that we'll see this around E3 this year.
If anyone is looking for a Sam & Max fix before then, I'd recommend "Surfin' the Highway", which is a trade paperback of all of the original Steve Purcell comics (including a bunch of the one-pagers from the Lucasarts insiders). Amazon is listing it here as out of print, but if you can track down a copy it's well worth the money.
"Those astronauts didn't have the stones to try this"
"I could never talk about an astronaut that way max."

Users who are viewing this thread