Salvage my old laserdisc player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul P, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

So I finally took my laserdisc player in to get it repaired. It's a good machine- an RCA LDR600, which has both S-video, optical, and ac-3 out. I don't have a huge laserdisc collection, but do have some of the essentials, such as 6+ dts laserdiscs, star wars trilogy in original remastered thx, and special edition box sets. It's gonna cost me another $130, which is actually how much I paid for the player in the first place. I mean I shouldn't be having a second thought about it- after all, we all know what kind of sound we get from laserdisc. Anyways, anyone have any thoughts?

2. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

hello,

I have a huge laserdisk collection and 3 laserdisk players. The only one I have with an AC3 output is my Pioneer CLD-D505. It recently died. When I opened it up the fuse was blown so I replaced the fuse. The second I plugged it in the fuse went out again. I need to take it into the repair shop but I am really afraid of how much it might cost. $130 does not sound all that bad. I might take it in and see how much it is going to cost to fix mine. If it is anymore then $200 I will break down and buy the Pioneer LD/DVD combo for $799.

Chris

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    argh!

dont buy one of the combo units, they look like shit.

Buy a 606, 704, 79, 97, or 99 for less money.

FWIW, I think $130 is cheap, especially if you can get some kind of 90 day warranty with it ??

Regards

Gregg

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I agree with Gregg. When my CLD-D704 crapped out on me it cost $180 for a new motor and I thought that was a bargain at the price. $130 is nothing, bix it and when you get it back have a HTF meet and invite some forum friend over to enjoy The Empire Stikes Back. [​IMG]

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Paul

Have you tried taking it to Arts TV in the Richmond(Noriega around 30th Ave)?

They have always been able to fix my players under $100 for my elite 79 and a 504 for about $60.

Email if you need more info.

Worse comes to worse, let me know if you are going to sell your discs

6. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

It sounds like your laserdisc is having the same problem mine is having. I have a home theater in my basement but my wife would never go watch movies down there so I was going to move everything upstairs and noticed my Laserdisc would not power up. I took the top off and noticed the fuse blown. So I replaced the fuse and it blew. I think mine is the powerboard. I have been afraid to bring it in due to cost. I am trying to replace it right now, but it looks like I am going to have to bring it in. I hate not having it right now because I can't watch Star Wars, Braveheart, Clerks, and Pulp Fiction. By the way mine is a Pioneer CLD-D504.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Daniel

I have a 504 too. I noticed having anything on it, tends to throw off the drawer.

8. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I think I'll have them do it. My issue was not one of a fuse, but of start-up. Rarely it will actually play a disc. Usually, it will start to spin it, then display "open" on the lcd readout, soon spitting out the disc. Half the time that it does start, it gets stuck on the first few seconds, almost like a skip. I know it's not the disc(I've tried brand new ones). Seems finicky. I think something happened to it when I had it shipped from the midwest. Damn UPS.

9. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Well... considering I bought a RCA LDR600 for $120 shipped including several LD titles off of Ebay, I would consider checking there for a while and see if something pops up.

10. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I never had a problem with my CLD-D504 until the fuse blew. I was very happy with the unit. I am hoping to get another one very soon.

Daniel T

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Daniel, you ought to try replacing your 504 with an Elite CLD-59. You'd get better sound, coaxial digital out for PCM & DTS, Digital Field Memory, and about the same pic quality as the 504. These two players are way alike outside of sound features. The Elite players make better used buys usually, I think. They do have some advantages in durability, I think, that's been my experience anyway.

Despite all that, yada, yada, yada, my CLD-99 is in the shop an I hope the bill isn't too high. Best wishes!

12. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

Well folks, several months and 2 repair shops later, it's still unfixed. Broken Laser apparently. Anyone interested in buying it and perhaps trying to fix it themselves? It's got all the goodies-- AC-3, optical, s-video, double-sided play, damn decent video quality.

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I always worry about how long they're going to keep making parts for things. I heard Pioneer has a policy of keeping parts available for at least 10 years after they stop making a particular model.
    It's very ironic RCA ever sold laserdisc players [​IMG]

14. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

15. Ian

Ian Agent

I am experiencing problems with my Pioneer CLD-D704. It starts to spin and then stops. It takes a few minutes for it to search for a chapter and to open once a LD has been inserted.

I use the CD, but I have not used the LD in some time. I have a few LDs I doubt will ever come to DVD. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ian, it sounds like the spindle motor is giving out. If that's it, you'll pay about $175 to $220 for repair. It's worth it on a good player like the 704. My 99 with the new spindle motor is going good again. Good luck and best wishes!

17. Bill.P

Bill.P Extra

Could also be the spindle itself. The older Pioneers have a rubber boot on the spindle, and after many years it gets dry rotted, and can't grip the disc anymore. They cost less than $20

-Bill

18. Ian

Ian Agent

19. Ian

Ian Agent

20. Bill.P

Bill.P Extra