1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Salute to Film Preservation coming 11/12 & 13 to Suffern, NY

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Peter Apruzzese, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I hope this is of interest to my fellow HTF members.

===

The SALUTE TO FILM PRESERVATION is coming November 12 & 13 to the historic Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY. An incredible two-day festival honoring the heroic efforts made by film archives around the world to preserve our motion picture heritage. Rare features and vintage short subjects will be showing, highlighting films photographed in black & white, two-color & three-strip Technicolor, SuperCineColor and 3-D!

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12
    12:45 pm - ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD
    (1952, directed by Charles Lamont, starring Bud Abbott, Lou Costello and Charles Laughton) The East Coast Premiere of the newly created UCLA Film & Television Archive print from the original SuperCineColor elements along with rare Bud & Lou coming attraction trailers and film footage. Featuring a personal appearance and Q & A with Lou’s daughter Chris Costello, moderated by Bob Furmanek & Ron Palumbo (authors of “Abbott and Costello in Hollywood”), in cooperation with the Fort Lee Film Commission.

3:30 pm - DOCTOR X
    (1932, directed by Michael Curtiz, starring Lionel Atwill & Fay Wray)
    Presented in Warner Bros. vault print created from the two-color Technicolor materials.

7:15 pm - THE BIG PARADE
    (1925, silent, directed by King Vidor, starring John Gilbert)
    Presented in a new restored print from Warner Bros. with live accompaniment by John Baratta on the Lafayette Theatre’s Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13
    1:30 pm - Bob Furmanek presents 3-D FOLLIES
    A selection of unique and rare short subjects preserved by the 3-D Film Archive and introduced by 3-D film historian Bob Furmanek. Presented in the miracle of perfected polarized 3-D.

3:30 pm - A STAR IS BORN
    (1937, directed by William A. Wellman, starring Fredric March and Janet Gaynor) Presented in a restored print courtesy of the UCLA Film & Television Archive created from the original 3-strip Technicolor negatives.

7:15 pm - Howard Hughes’ HELL’S ANGELS
    (1930, directed by Howard Hughes, starring Jean Harlow)
    Presented in its full-length original version - complete with color sequences - with a restored print courtesy of Universal Pictures.

More information at the website: HERE

Thanks,

Pete Apruzzese
    Director of Film Programming
    Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Wow, what a program! To see original color prints of DR. X and the 1937 STAR would be amazing. I wish I was closer to Suffern. [​IMG]

3. MitchellD

MitchellD Agent

I'm glad to see that the films selected were preservations, not alterations.

I can't stand it when studios, or even the directors themselves, muck with films years later and have have the nerve to call their so called inprovements preservation.

/M.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Just a quick update on the prints that have arrived and that I've gone through:

Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd looks excellent, sharp as a tack with very good color (compared to the ever-so-slightly soft look of the SuperCineColor original). The print itself appears flawless and new.

Doctor X is a slightly older print - mid-90s - but also looks great. The odd two-color Technicolor look is maintained in this printing and it makes the movie even creepier than I remembered.

The Big Parade is brand spanking new, right out of the lab and never run, it appears. It's the full-length version complete with color tints.

A Star is Born, again a beautiful-looking UCLA preservation of the Technicolor original. The print itself appears flawless.

I saw the 3-D Follies prints 18 months ago and they are uniformly excellent. The only other print I'm waiting for is the Hell's Angels, but Universal assured me it would be their best print.

If any HTF members come out, please introduce yourself!

Pete