What's new

SALO - Criterion - what is going on on Ebay...? (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hey there. :)

I want to buy SALO Criterion - but on Ebay, none of the listings goes higher than 50 Dollars!!!

Is EVERYONE selling bootlegs? Or is it the bootleg-scare? What is going on, and WHERE can I find my LEGIT copy?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,

Seb :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
All the ones listed under "salo criterion" are bootlegs. While they look pretty close on the cover, a couple of dead giveaways are:

Chapter stops: should be 29, not 6 or 9
Picture disc: the legit one HAS a white ring in the center, artwork does not go to the center of the disc.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Salo has got to be the rarest Criterion ever. I'm not sure what the current going price is, but I thought is was pretty high (at least a couple hundred bucks).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, the real ones are going for $300+.

This closed listing is the real deal. You may want to save a copy of the mages to help you when looking at listings. In particular, note the design of the disc itself, with the white ring in the center.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would pay that kind of money for this movie, but to each his own I guess.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Strange, my disc has the white ring and only 6 chapter stops. I already know it's a bootleg. So, don't just go by the whole "white ring" deal.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If you just want the film and don't want to spend so much (I actually have heard the film is quite wreched by the way :) ), it is available in the UK (Region 2 PAL) or there is a Criterion Collection LD that goes for a LOT less than the DVD :D

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Chapter stops: should be 29, not 6 or 9
Don't go just by that as most of the bootlegs being sold have 29 chapter stops. They are exact dups of the original and the only way to tell the difference is the white ring.

Unfortunately, the influx of the bootlegs has greatly reduced the value of the originals.

Jeff

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Unfortunately, the influx of the bootlegs has greatly reduced the value of the originals.
I don't know what you mean by "greatly" but there are several recent auctions that ended up in the $300 range.

Yes, the white ring seems to be the only really distinguishing feature, so trying to buy a sealed version is a real crapshoot, and most likely you are getting a boot.

Users who are viewing this thread