1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Sales Tax Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

If I sell a used item to a friend, am I required to charge him sales tax on the transaction?

How about if I sell a "new" item, and I am not specifically a vendor, but rather it is a private sale- am I required to charge sales tax?

-Vince

2. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

No. Since you do not represent a vendor, you are not required to charge your friend a sales tax.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

So, you have to be a vendor, like a dealer to charge sales tax?

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Hehehe...if some friend sold me something and charged me tax I'd probably punch him [​IMG]

5. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    Sales tax is decided state to state. So what the official rule in Ohio is may not be the same in other states, this is why online stores do not collect tax on out of state sales, In NY the official rule is that anything bought out of state without tax you are suppose to fill out a form at the end of the year and pay the state tax.
    kd

6. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

The purchaser is responsible for the sales tax when buying a used item. similar to buying a used car from an individual when they go to register it at the DMV sales tax is charged to them at that time. If someone wants go strictly by the letter of the law they must report the purchase to the department of revenue. Obviously no one does though.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Most states have an exception from sales tax for "occasional sales." So in such states, if you have a garage sale once a year, no sales tax need be charged or collected. If you sell something to a friend once in a while, same thing.

HOWEVER, the typical rule also is that if you are already a sales tax collecting vendor, you can never have an "occasional sale." So the guy owning the DVD shop (personally, not through a corporation) should be collecting sales taxes on his garage sales too.

HOWEVER again, there are also exceptions to the general rule. For instance, in Wisconsin there is no "occasional sale" exception for cars, so if you sell your car to your buddy he's hit with the sales tax when he goes to license it.

Although I work for the Wisconsin Department of Revenue, this is not an official statement of the Department nor is it legal advice. If you have such a situation contact an attorney in your jurisdiction.