Sales swindle: "We're selling this so cheap, Denon won't honor the warranty"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Howard, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Jim Howard

Jim Howard Auditioning

The subject header says it. I went to make an order for a new Denon AVR-3802 just now. The sales associate at the big store told me that because they were selling the unit at a price so far below the MSRP (~$800 on what he claimed MSRP was $1200), that Denon would refuse to honor the warranty.
    Of course, for $200 more he offered to sell me a service plan. Basically advertised $800 for a $1000 sale. He said that Denon will honor the warranty if you buy it at $1100, and that I wouldn't be in any luck buying it elsewhere.
    I think I smell something... any thoughts gang?
    -Jim

2. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

If I were you I'd call Denon immediately, give them the story and the name of the retailer, and see what they have to say about it. [​IMG]

3. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Hahaha. That is funny. You might want to contact this guys manager. There is another name for those "in store warrantees". They are called salesman commision. Almost certainly he was trying to take $200 out of your pocket and put it in his own.
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

4. Jim Howard

Jim Howard Auditioning

Okay, here's what I found out:
    From Denon's website:
    CONSUMER ALERT: Purchase your Denon Products only from a Denon Authorized Dealer. Denon carefully selects its authorized dealers to ensure that its high standards are maintained. The warranty on Denon Products purchased from an unauthorized source or reseller may not be valid.
    From a Denon Warranty exclusions:
    "Any product which is not purchased in the USA from an AUTHORIZED DENON DEALER... (NOTE: AUTHORIZED DENON DEALERS can be identified by an AUTHORIZED DENON DEALER sticker displayed in the stores. If you are uncertain as to whether a dealer is an AUTHORIZED DENON DEALER, please contact DENON."
    So basically, most any etailer isn't going to be an "authorized denon dealer". This may actually apply to a great deal of discount etailers. Be careful when you order online.
    -Jim

5. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

The key is "MAY NOT" it all depends a lot on what the laws in your state are.

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I read it as "you may not have that cookie/ I will not not service your grey-market schlock"

7. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Even if it is grey market schlock..
    Who manufactured it?
    Whos name is on it?
    Who sold it?
    Who made a profit on it?
    Denon.
    Even in these cases someone should be responsible to the consumer.
    Tom

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If it's an A-stock item (meaning meant to be sold in the US), they have to warranty it. It's just that simple. That from DenonDave himself.
    Todd

9. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

But how do you identify it as an "A-stock"?
    ------------------

10. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

DOES DENON DAVE STILL WORK FOR DENON?
    IF SO , I'M SURE THAT HE'D TELL YOU THAT THESE PROBLEMS ALL COULD BE AVOIDED BY BUYING FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER

11. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I have a very good source for(authorized) Denon products at good discounts. He's on vacation til August 20th so you'd have to have some patience. If interested, send me a private email after that date.
    Randy

12. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Not a swindle at all. This topic has been covered ad nauseum many times beofre. The bottom line is MOST warranty laws are covered under US code, not state. Although, some states may have some applicable laws so you should always check with your State Attorney General's office. A warranty is a type of contract, and if the contract says must be purchased from authorized dealer then guess what....although I'm sure depending on the circumstances some people have had warranty repairs authorized for non-authorized dealer purchases.
    Now I'm going to get flamed and misunderstood for the following paragraph from people, but I sggest you take a few basic courses in economics and accounting before you do so.
    When you think about it, it's you that wants something for nothing. You want to pay Denon and the seller less money, yet still have it warrantied. FACT: Manufacturers have to build in warranty repair costs to their profit structure. Say for example they anticipate a warranty repair expense of average 10% of the cost of the unit. They then charge the dealers 10% more than they otherwise would, who then passes along this cost to you. Now, you want to buy without paying this warranty premium, yet still have the advantages of the warranty? Sorry, as they say in economics, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
    So, balance the chance of having something go wrong times the cost to repair against your cost savings and decide what's right for you.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

13. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

From your statement, I'm assuming you aren't dealing with an "authorized dealer". In that case, Denon won't honor your warranty no matter how much you pay for it!
    It has nothing to do with the purchase price, just the purchase place.
    For what it's worth, I have found my local authorized dealer to be pretty good about bargaining down the price when buying other things. I got the 3802 for $950.

14. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

15. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

What is a good discount rate anyway? i.e., how much can you expect?

16. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

hey guys,
    I actually work for a electronic manufacturer, and DENON DOES NOT have to honor the warrenty. It is their call. If you don't buy it from an authorized retailer you are out of luck, but the other side is, how will they know if you do not tell them?-that's the key. They can always varify date of manufacture (DOM) form a specific number or it is often in the serial number for warrenty coverage. So, you simply tell them you lost your receipt, and they can varify warrenty from the DOM.
    good luck!
    JP

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The typical murk up for Denon products are 40%,so you got room for "negotiating".This whole fiasco about warranty is ti protect the dealers and Denon's image.It's never been about something for nothing or Denon would loose money at all. Not to mention Denon products tend to be reliable.
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

18. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

19. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Tom H
    a grey market product is a grey market product, which means there is no warranty. period.
    legally, Denon is not accountable for any grey market product. It's written clearly in their warranty statement. No court will back your reasoning.

20. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator