What's new

Sales ranking for Columbia Tristar?? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Seeing as many of us are on the topic of what Columbia will or will not release. Does anyone out there know in what order their season sets rank?
In other words, from best selling to worst, what are the figures like?
Gord, can you possibly shed light on this??

The following shows I am determined to have them release
are:

Starsky & Hutch seasons 3-4
Charlie's Angels seasons 3-5
Tour Of Duty seasons 2-3
King of Queens seasons 3-current
Married W Children seasons 3-11
Who's The Boss seasons 2-9

I'd also like to see:
T.J. Hooker (don't laugh!)

anyone else out there looking forward to these titles as well??
Hopefully someone at Columbia is reading this post!!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've never asked them how many sets they sell for those shows, and I doubt they'd give them to me. Studios usually guard those numbers pretty closely. Even Videoscan, which reports on sales of sets, doesn't report information from all the sources (I believe Walmart is one they don't get numbers for).

Gord

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Just to add to what Gord said, its doubtful that even if you got the sales figures that it would do you much good. How many units a show sells does not necessarily make it more profitable for the studio than a show that sells less. A show might sell more than another, and yet have a higher cost of production, and thus be less profitable than a show that sold fewer copies. I don't know that to be true, but it seems logical to me to think this way. One song, could have a great impact on a shows profits, depending on how much it cost to clear it for DVD release.

So, even just number of units sold, and posibly even if you were lucky enough to see the revenue generated, it still might not be enough to tell you what you really want to know which is what shows are profitable enough to continue releasing?

Just a thought...

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Well, you'll at least get your wish for Starsky and Hutch Season Three, which TVShowsonDVD just announced. I suppose that show must have done pretty well, given the relatively speedy release of the first three seasons. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this show sees all its seasons released.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
To further add to what Gord said, when I recently ran sales figures for certain first-season DVD sets (posted elsewhere on HTF), no studio would give me that info. I ended up commissioning the data from the marketing research department of Video Store Magazine. (Fox later confirmed that the data for its DVDs were largely accurate, but it wouldn't have given me the actual numbers or clued me in otherwise.)

I guess it doesn't matter to fans why the show was released so fast, as long as it's coming out. But its speedy release was due solely to the new movie. The first season came out to help promote and piggyback on the movie when it was released theatrically. And the second set came out to do the same when the movie was released on DVD. It was pure marketing. The third season is a happy byproduct of that promotional campaign.

John*P

Second Unit
Eh, Married...with Children and Diff'rent Strokes are the only current Columbia TV-DVD shows that I'm looking forward to future seasons of.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Jeffersons seasons 3-11? Unless the original tapes are in need of rescue, what's holding them?

Dan, there was no 9th season of Who's The Boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks