Sales on On Tree Hill

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Josh_HI, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

I've never seen the show but would consider buying it on a blind buy if the price was right....Has anyone gotten this show on a $20 sale? I thought I remember it going down to $20 once at Target but I'm not sure.. Is it worth a blind buy? Since the OC is always having $20 or less sales I wondered if One Tree Hill is the same.

EDIT Obviously on the title I meant to put ONE not on. Can't change it though.

2. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

It's a good family drama, especially the first season. I bought it on a blind buy and liked it enought to pick up season two, which was on sale for $18.88 at Target. And, yes, I find it on sale for below $20.00 every few months, either at Target or Wal-Mart.

Season three is coming out on Sept. 26. I'm planning on picking it up at the first week sale price. So go for it!

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, considering season 3 will be out right before season 4 premieres, I think it's safe to say it's sold well enough.

The show has it's moments but sometimes it tries hard to be sensational and falls flat, and also they all look way too old at this point to STILL be high school seniors, I mean, two of its leads are divorced in real life now. It's worth watching but I think the replay value is subjective, I know there is one season 3 episode I'll never want to sit through again (I know the fans would know which one I'm talking about).

4. buffycritter97

Wal-Mart has seasons 1 & 2 for $19.xx right now if your interested...

Personally, I started watching the series to get my 'Dawson's Creek' fix (it ended the year before this premiered), and in the very beginning (first 5 episodes or so) it was kinda slow and I wasn't really feeling it. But around episode 6/7 (the hitchiking episode) is where the show truly turned around for me, and by season two the show had found its footing (and a very dead-on comedic side) and it started to get better and better... (I found season three to be the best season yet, which is why I spent so much energy on the save tree hill campaign last march/april)

The show's drama, while not exactly the most realisitic of teen dramas, is enough to keep the viewers interested, but this show is more about the characters interactiosn with one another more than the plot. Like 'the oc' the parents get in on the mix, but unlike 'the oc' they don't share the screen 50/50 with the kids, its more like Dawson with 30/70.

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I am curious how season 4 will fair. Season 3 was great, but it suffered a massive plummet in the ratings (it was the WB's #3 series in season 2, and in season 3 it was teetering towards cancellation) but I think most of that came from the real life divorce of Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush, which totally ruined the CMM fantasies a lot of the teengirls had. After the aforementioned "special episode" in March, I do notice that ratings began to pick up again.

It'd be nice if season 4's ratings pick up a bit more, considering I think most of the CMM fangirls have gotten over the divorce and because the show has improved. Is it me or did it seem like season 3 focused more on James Lafferty than it did CMM (who didn't even appear in one episode, and he's the top billed star of the show) after the backlash regarding the divorce happened? Although honestly, I think James is a more talented actor than Chad.

6. buffycritter97

I also hope that season 4 fairs in the ratings better than previous seasons, because CW has to cut a drama by January and it looks like its between 'Runaway,' '7th Heaven,' and 'One Tree Hill.' But the only consolation is that Schawn (the creator) said we will see graduation this year no matter what.

A funny ancedote about the divorce: After things started to get nasty, CMM made pointed comments towards the producers about not really wanting to work with Sophia Bush anymore, saying stuff like "the two of us arn't going to really be able to work together anymore" yadda yadda... Well I guess the producers answer was somewhere along the lines of: "so where you going to go then" to CMM... So I think they are definately trying to change the POV of the series...

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The show is definitely worth it at $20 or less, and yes it goes down that low quite often, like Gilmore Girls (a MUST buy...!) So look for it; how can you pass up 22 hours of entertainment for $20 anyway? lol If you want my unclouded opinion of the writing/acting/overall quality of various teen and/or family dramas (that I've actually watched), here's my rankings:

Everwood
    Veronica Mars
    the Gilmore Girls
    Dawson's Creek
    the O.C.
    Party of 5
    One Tree Hill
    American Dreams
    Popular
    Melrose Place
    Roswell
    Beverly Hills, 90210
    7th Heaven

That's pretty much the way I think of those shows in terms of good writing and acting...you can see OTH is somewhere in the middle. Actually I like all of these shows, but I do think 90210 was dumb. Never missed a single episode, either.